PDA

View Full Version : Initial issues

rictus
06-14-2013, 04:09 PM
OK so I've got the software running very well. Certainly enjoying the FPS in FSX with no virtual cockpit to draw!

I have one or two issues I need some advice on:

1. I have disabled joystick input in FSX and calibrated the single throttle on my Saitek ST290 in the fmgs_config software. I have set the positions for TOGA, MCT, CLB , IDLE etc but seem to have trouble setting to CLB/SPD - it seems to operate the autothrottle but the upper ECAM says AUTO FLT A/THR LIMITED in orange and -THR LEVERS .......MOVE in blue. If I move the throttle lever up a bit it hits MCT. I matched the detents up to markers on the throttle so I know where to position it, but auto always produces the above messages. No matter how far apart I set MCT and CLB, they seem to jump immediately from one to the other on the ECAM, or flicker between the two...

2. When testing T.O config, pressing the 'T' key while highlighting ANY of the displays, does not confirm the config, even though the ECAM is in the green. the keys for cycling through views on the SD work fine. Likewise setting GND spoilers armed/disarmed does not work. EDIT SPOILERS now Working

3. lower Barberpole on speedtape does not recede as flaps extended and speed reduced, approach phase activated. Then seems to get upset and alpha floor at 2000 feet on approach, CAT3 dual... This of course might be me doing something silly, but it doesn't happen to me in the airbus X extended (no laughing...!)

Thanks again :)

rictus
06-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Another thing I've noticed is I'm getting GPWS 'too low', 'terrain' and 'pull up' plus the whoop whoop alarm while fully configured for cat3 auto land. I was pretty sure these should be inhibited when in landing configuration and approach phase active?

also, it refused to reduce speed below 190kts (top of orange barberpole mentioned in first post above) even when set to VAPP 134kts... Even disengaging the AT doesn't seem to resolve it.

thanks

jeehell
06-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi,

1. THR LVR calibration is critical. Make sure you do have non-zero error zones around each detent, and that the resulting range around detents do not overlap.

2. Do you get any warning while holding the T key down?

3. How to you actuate the flaps? Do not use the standard FS keys, but instead reconfigure some joystick buttons to flaps INC/DEC actions in FMGS Config.

4. There are some issues with GPWS in some configurations, I'll work on that later. You can switch GPWS off using the OVHD GPWS SYS button.

5. Once you solve your flaps issue, you'll be able to decrease the VLS below clean configuration speeds.

Regards,
JL

rictus
06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Hi JL,

1. I've been fiddling with the throttle more today. I've set the error zones to 2%, also tried 5% for the CLB detent. Regardless of how far apart I set the MCT and CLB detents, they always seem to flicker between the two. e.g. my Throttle's range is 0-65335 (off the top of my head). I can set TOGA at 65335, MCT at around 50000 and CLB at 40000 or even 30000 and it doesn't increase the distance between the detents. I have used the single throttle option and disabled all joystick functions in FSX. Could FSUIPC have an effect?

2. Nothing happens when pressing T. No sound, no visual response. Spoiler arming/disarming works fine.

3. Using Function keys for flaps - pressing F6/F7 causes the flap gauge on the ECAM to respond appropriately. Guessing this is still an issue? I don't want to program too much through the joystick if possible, I hate having anything other than PTT and brakes on the stick. Is there another way to use the keyboard, e.g. by commanding via FSUIPC?

4. OK - thanks :) although I suspect this will be solved by 5, below :)

5. I suspected this was something I was doing wrong rather than a fault :)

6. I've also had some funnies with alpha floor kicking in on takeoff, before 1900 feet. I also set MCT (because of CLB issue) and pushed alt 20000ft. The aircraft shot the nose up to +6000 FPM climb, shot up to overspeed, tried to carry on climbing, dropped the nose and dived at the ground in TO/GA and refused to idle. Was really odd, haven't had it do anything like this so far. Will try this again later. I'm using the load option on the INIT B page on the MCDU to pull ZFW, Block etc from the aircraft. Maybe the data is wrong?

7. Setting cruise FL on INIT A page of 5000 feet (for circuits, testing etc) produces a TEMP of -657 degrees!!! Setting to 20000 feet generated a temperature of -3000 degrees!!

8. FLEX TEMP not automatically filled on INIT B - should it be calculating this automatically?

9. Sound effects - e.g. when engaging APU, connecting GND power, setting seat belt signs on - these don't seem to make any noise?

10. Purely cosmetic and not really a problem - possible to have the overhead, MCDU and FCU backlighting work? I'm going to be using the software models for some time...! 'No' is perfectly acceptable ;)

Really grateful for your help :)

Thanks again

jeehell
06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
1. Disable FSUIPC joystick featuers. Also make sure YOU DID SET A NON ZERO ERROR ZONE for each detent please. Something around 1000 should be fine in your case.

2. Not sure, I'll have to check, but last I remember it worked fine... Probably linked to flaps configuration.

3. NO F5 to F8 keys possible for now. No FSUIPC either. For now only joystick buttons through MY software.

6. A FLOOR is triggered when speed is too slow. It can come from the fact you cannot properly use the flaps (it stays in F0 configuration).

7. 5000 is not a correct FL.... use 50 instead.

8. No. Airbus does not compute any take off performance figure, it's a human pilot job.

9. I do not provide exterior sounds. Signs sounds should work though.

10. No ;)

cheers,
JL

rictus
06-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Thanks JL - your support is better than I've heard about for some paid products!

I'm off on holiday for a couple of weeks (first flight in about 16 years!!!), so will get stuck in on my return... I think I might get a Saitek throttle quadrant to operate as throttle, spoiler and flaps... Looks like the flap control is the root of most of my problems...

Finally - as a feature request could I suggest a radio panel? I'm planning to run the MCDU on a tablet PC down by my side, would be nice to have the radio there too - then I can fly it online :D

Thanks again - I shall leave you in peace for a couple of weeks!

rictus
06-29-2013, 03:56 PM
Hi JL,

back from holiday and having a play with the A320... In response to current issues:

1. I have never configured any settings for joysticks in FSUIPC - is that enough, or is something more required?

2. T happy and working now (only change made is assigning flaps to joystick buttons, so I think you were right!)

3. this is done and working very happily :) Thanks

6. I am trying this now but expect you're right ;)

7. Sorry - moment of stupidness... FL50 configures correctly

8. Got a nice little proggy to do this - TPC.exe if anyone is interested...

9. No worries - still don't seem to get chimes though :(

10. LOL thx :)

I'm still having problems with detents. No matter how far apart I set CLB and MCT and no matter how big or small I set the error zone, it still seems to 'flicker' between SPEED and MAN THR on the PFD or CLB/MCT on the upper ECAM... The lever position doesn't seem to match what I've set in the FMGS_Config program, so I suspect it may be an external influence, but I can't think what. I've removed the axes from FSX and have no config in FSUIPC... This is my one nuisance at present, apart from this it's all working really really well :(

I've tried setting the error zone to 1000, even 2000 and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

rictus
06-29-2013, 04:06 PM
PS any chance of a fuel loading page? It's great to be able to load the weights straight into the MCDU but the FSX fuel and weight page sucks!

rictus
06-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Update - throttle looks to be sorted... I think it might have something to do with the way it was configured on the complex throttle page that was messing it up - anyways, seems to be behaving at present... Couple of IFR circuits of Heathrow have gone well :)

jeehell
06-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi

The answer is no, or at least not in the immediate future....

Glad to hear you could sort the throttle issue.

regards,
JL

rictus
06-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Strangely, after restarting the software, the throttle detents are working fine, but the hardware throttle on my joystick is only moving THR1 all of a sudden and not both, despite being set to BOTH in the config... The lollipop marker on THR2 (right hand) thrust setting circle on the upper ECAM is in the gated position, i.e. CLB/MCT/FLX position...

jeehell
06-29-2013, 07:15 PM
I'll look at that for next version...
You can confighure th same lever twice if needed (LVR1 and LVR 2).

JL

rictus
06-30-2013, 02:12 AM
I wondered about that and did try before posting, but it didn't work.

When I load the config program I get a second window that offers 'complex' throttle setup. I've always used it because it seemed to be related to working with a single axis throttle and was the only way to get the 'both' option in the main config window... I noticed from the user manual that the throttle axis was directly specified in the lvr1 box rather than the 'title' of the complex throttle... Maybe I don't need to use it?

jeehell
06-30-2013, 06:38 AM
Why do you use the complex axis setup? it is not related at all to configuring a single axis to both levers. It is for people who need to use either a switch or a second axis for the reverse part of the LVR course.

JL

rictus
06-30-2013, 08:21 AM
Ah I thought so - Because it came up as the front most window and cannot be closed by itself without closing the main config window I thought it was necessary. I will have another fiddle!

I'm about to offload some of the displays to a networked computer - I assume I can configure the EXE to only open certain panels/displays on each PC, I will delve into the advanced setup instructions and see how I get on!

rictus
07-01-2013, 02:55 PM
Edit - ignore... issue solved!