PDA

View Full Version : Hardware for Displays

murdoughnut
05-02-2013, 03:28 PM
I'm working on my initial 737 design - thinking of running two PCs - one for FSX and a single visual display, the other dedicated to the avionics displays exclusively. I was thinking of building something from scratch to run the first, since FSX is such a bear. My question is with regard to the avionics displays (probably going to start with the cheap Aerosoft software just to start). Do I need a lot of performance from a PC if it's just running these? I would think that a standard graphics card would be fine, along with a newer, but not necessarily fast processor. Tell me if my assumptions here are wrong, but I would think that my old Dell with a new graphics card for dual monitors would be sufficient to run the PFD (output split to show the same thing on the CPT and FO monitors) and the EICAS on a third monitor. I just don't want to invest in building another higher performance PC if it's overkill.

Thanks!

BuildABoeing
05-02-2013, 05:08 PM
I am running ProSim and SIOC on one secondary computer, and it has two monitors that are my MIP-screens.
It is a Pentium D (that is like a P4).
It works okay. Not the fastest refresh rate when all ProSim programs are open. But good enough for me. I mean.. The Primary Flight Display does not need 50+ FPS. :-)

murdoughnut
05-03-2013, 11:41 AM
I am running ProSim and SIOC on one secondary computer, and it has two monitors that are my MIP-screens.
It is a Pentium D (that is like a P4).
It works okay. Not the fastest refresh rate when all ProSim programs are open. But good enough for me. I mean.. The Primary Flight Display does not need 50+ FPS. :-)

Thanks - yeah I figured it was less resource needy than FSX and the outside displays.