PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a new PC

50sqnwop/ag
04-11-2013, 05:05 AM
I'm looking at upgrading to a newer/more powerful pc to mainly use for flt sim stuff and was wondering what would be the less troublesome route?
Would I be better off with:

-windows 7
-windows 8 or
-keeping vista on the new pc as I've had no real problems with MSFSims using it. ?

also are there problems with 32/64bit systems with regards fs9/fsx?

thanks

NedHamilton
04-11-2013, 07:00 AM
I've installed FSX on 17 PCs in past 6 months. Four are XP and the rest are 64bit Windows 7. No problems at all. I would not use Windows 8 for flight sim just because it's too new and there are some issues floating around on the Internet. Also it's startup and interface make it more difficult to do some things.

fordgt40
04-11-2013, 07:05 AM
Yes, XP or Windows7 64bit are fine. Best advice is to get an overclocked CPU minimum 4.4ghz. FSX needs high cpu clock speeds and then more!

dodiano
04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
I will also recommend an SSD as a Harddrive! Makes everything faster!

Regards

Roberto

Sean Nixon
04-12-2013, 03:45 AM
If you have to buy a new OS for your new PC, then I would choose Windows 7 64 Bit.

If you were planning on using an existing copy of Vista to save you buying a new OS, and you've had no problems with it, then stick with it (although W7 is better).

I would also go SSD. I've been using them for ages and sad to say the HDD no longer cuts the mustard for me.

Regards 32/64 bit, you'll need to look at all your hardware that requires bespoke drivers and make sure there's a 64 bit version available for it. Most things are covered now, but worth checking.

Main reason for you to consider 64 bit is if you want to put more than 4Gb of RAM into your new PC. That is the limit for 32 bit systems.

Sean

50sqnwop/ag
04-12-2013, 06:35 AM
how do Sean n t'others,

I'm running at max RAM on my current pc as it is on 32bit vista and the performance info says it is 64bit capable,
but looking into upgrading to 64bit looks a right mare so I may just aswell get win 7 64 ,as it would be nice to be able to use fs9/fsx with all detail levels on a high as possible level................... without...........................long............................pauses.................inbetween......................every..........
frame..........;-)
pc specs =
HP a6220
intel(r) core (tm)2 duo CPU e4400 @2ghz
3.5G RAM
ATI HD2400 card
it says total available graphics memory 1791MB,dedicated graphics mem 256mb (so low spec card i guess).

All no doubt ancient by this weeks standards but gates n co can get bent if I'm upgrading everything every month!

tally ho!

Sean Nixon
04-12-2013, 06:53 AM
I don't think you'll see any difference in frame rates between W7/64 or Vista/32 on that PC.

Unless you have to buy a new OS, use what you have. If buying a new licence, get W7.

Sean

50sqnwop/ag
04-12-2013, 09:47 AM
but if I bought a new one i5 esq with win7 I would wouldn't I.....?this is what I'm looking at getting minus the screen n keyboard mouse n speakers=

AMD "Trinity" A8-5600K (3.9Ghz)
Quad Core Mid Range System AMD A8-5600K Quad Core (3.9GHz)
1TB SATA III Hard Drive
16GB DDR3 Memory
OnBoard Graphics, Sound, LAN & USB 2.0 & 3.0
24 Speed DVD-RW
21.5" Widescreen TFT Monitor
Multimedia Keyboard & Optical Mouse
Stereo Speakers
Microsoft Windows 7 or 8 Home (64 bit)
Open Office Software
AntiVirus Software

fordgt40
04-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Sorry, but an on-board graphics chip will not give you the performance you need/expect from FSX.

Sean Nixon
04-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Agreed, a dedicated graphics card is a must if you are upgrading the PC.

I would also get the Intel i5 over the AMD. I'm a little out of touch with the latest PC hardware, but the Intel i-line processors have ruled the roost since they first appeared.

EDIT - Thats's a lot of RAM, but it's cheap. You'd need a 64 bit OS to take advantage of that amount.

AK Mongo
04-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Been looking around but haven't found an answer yet. I am building a new rig, but need to purchase incrementally. With an i5 or i7 processor will the onboard graphics run fsx at all?

reid

Sean Nixon
04-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Been looking around but haven't found an answer yet. I am building a new rig, but need to purchase incrementally. With an i5 or i7 processor will the onboard graphics run fsx at all?

reid

Absolutely, yes. An i5/i7 will run default FSX with exceptional framerates. Even with on board graphics.

It's the add-ons like PMDG and custom scenery that will bring the thing to it's knees! Even then, it's the CPU that's the weak link, rather than the graphics chip.

50sqnwop/ag
04-13-2013, 06:14 AM
I think its meant to have an ATI card as apposed to the onboard card. roger on AMD being cack as apposed to i5 boards...... Are the companies you see advertising systems in pc pilot magazine any good?

Neil Hewitt
04-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Got to agree with Sean here - don't touch AMD with a barge-pole. Their top-end performance on a single core - which is what MSFS needs above all else - is nowhere near a match for Intel CPUs. And faster Intel chips (those that can be clocked much faster, that is) are cheaper.

3rd generation Core i5 chips are fantastic performers, but in truth on a single core they are only slightly faster than the 2nd generation Sandy Bridge chips. The Core i5 2500K is still probably the best price / performance ratio CPU on the market today, even more so because it's getting cheaper as it gets older. My strong advice would be to go with an Intel chip and only with one that has an unlocked multiplier (K or X series).

Cheap md-range graphics cards are fine for an FSX or FS9 setup these days - neither will use the full capability of today's top-end cards, because there's nothing being handed off to the GPU other than simple rendering. In my experience, only single-core CPU performance, RAM speed and HDD speed are important to running FSX at close to its full potential.

YMMV as always :-)

UPDATE: Bah, didn't read the full thread before posting... but I'll leave this here just in case anyone finds it useful.

fordgt40
04-13-2013, 04:53 PM
This will do the job nicely

Chillblast - The UK's most awarded Custom PC builder - Cheap PCs - Gaming PCs - Workstations (http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Chimera.html)

Sean Nixon
04-14-2013, 05:10 AM
This will do the job nicely

Agreed. Chillblast do put together good PC's.

If you're looking for somewhere to do a comparison, then this company used to win a lot of awards for their PC's too.

Gaming PC, Custom Gaming Computers and Cheap Pcs (http://www.palicomp.co.uk)