PDA

View Full Version : 3 SCREEN OR ONE BIG ONE

SKYWARRIOR
02-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Hi,
I have currently a 3 x 23" NEC screen set up and I have not used it for 3 years. I am in the process of assembling the sim in my new house cellar as a permanent fixture. I find that two screens have started to coe to the end of their life with flickkers and pink phoroessence happening throughout the images.
The desicion I have to come to is : Do I buy 3 more screens maybe 27" and have the wrap around feel or one big 47" Sony. I have a fairly good set up with a stack of ram and i7 950 3.0 CPU and a Nvidia 680 GTX with 4 G ram. All disks are now SSD including boot disc.
Will the Nvidia drive the large screen ( I know it will drive the 3 x 27" ones) and will the experience be the same , better or worse with one large screen?
Any comments very welcome please before I mess it up !

Regards

David

Kennair
02-14-2013, 02:11 PM
In a word David, Yes. Your 680 will run the 47" LCD with no problem at all, in fact it will run 3 of them if you really want to go wraparound. I'm running 3 x 42" LCD's off a GTX680 card which gives a rather nice immersion. As to the performance hit, its all about total pixels being driven. A single 47" LCD (or for that matter even an 80" LCD) in full HD will consist of 1920 x 1080 pixels. If you went to 3 x 27" LCD's, assuming they were HD, you would be driving 5760 x 1080 pixels regardless of screen real estate. The result being that your single 47" LCD would result in a lower performance hit than your 3 x 27" LCD's. As for the visual experience, I think 3 x 27" screens will give you a wider field of view depending how you setup FSX but you may suffer stretching if you use one wide view rather than 3 undocked views. This option will drain your system even further however. It's really up to your preference and budget but you'll have no problem driving any of those screens with your video card.

Ken.