PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here ...

m0ng00se
12-28-2012, 08:30 PM
Just joined since I am starting to build my own 737 cockpit. So far, I have ordered MCP/EFIS from Opencockpits, some stuff from Leo Bodnar and a few panels from Geremy at GLB. I have not build anything yet, but plan a trip to B&Q tomorrow morning to get some MDF to start with the MIP, although it's a bit difficult to be absolutely sure the MIP is the correct dimensions without the panels.

Today, I have started on some custom handles for my saitek trottles, but everything is still in early stages. I have two projectors which I plan to use with a ATI eyefinity card for visuals and maybe later build a curved screen and use software from cursive-simulation which works quite well.

I also plan to use Prosim737 which I have played with already and seems to work quite well. It will be running on a separate PC to drive my Captain and FO PDF/NAV and EICAS displays.

Any tips/advice for a newbie builder will be much appreciated ! :)

Cheers,
Andre

Geremy Britton
12-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi Andre

Nice to see another 737 builder. Looks like a good start. Ian Sissons' website is definitely a great resource for dimensions and hand crafting parts. Also our very own downloads section here in the Boeing file is also very useful.

Also thanks for your support - your parts are on their way :)

m0ng00se
12-29-2012, 08:41 AM
Thanks Geremy ... did you find MIP paint in the end ? How does the B&Q Plasticote grey compare with the panels ?

Joe Lavery
12-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Not sure if I got hold of the wrong end of the stick here ;) but I get my RAL 7011 paint from a car paint shop. They put it in a 400ml spray can for me, it's surprising how far it goes. The price is £7.00 a can (I don't sell it by the way).
Incidentally I wrote to Plasticote and their grey is RAL 7012. Ok if you use it for all your panels, but most suppliers use 7011.

hope that helps.
Joe.