PDA

View Full Version : 3 monitors and 1 projector

Wulffn
08-26-2012, 06:31 AM
Hello everyone

First of all sorry for my bad english :)

I'm trying to build my first and very cheap home cockpit. But i have a problem, i'm trying to connect 3 monitors and 1 projector to my computer. My graphic card have 1 VGA, 1 DVI and a HDMI. The HDMI is connected to my BenQ W1060 projector and 2 monitors to VGA and DVI output. How do i connect the last monitor and is it even possible? I have been looking for a usb adapter, i think it is the cheapest way to do it, but is that possible? The third monitor is only going to show some instruments.

Last question, is my computer good enough to play fsx with 4 monitors without lagging?

CPU: Intel i7 920 2,66 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte X58-UD5
Graphic: Geforce GTX 275
RAM: 12 GB DDR3-1333
HDD: 750GB

Have a nice day :)

/Mads

jonesthesoftware
08-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Hi
You could put a second graphics card in your PC as your motherboard has spare slots. I tried those USB graphics adaptors but failed to get them to work with FSX. OK with windows but couldn't drag windows to them from FSX
regards
geoff

Wulffn
08-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the reply, but i have seen on some website that fsx doesn't support SLI from Nvidia? Any solution to that?

jonesthesoftware
08-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi
Haven't heard that before. I have no problem with 2 Nvidia graphics cards and FSX. Your motherboard has 2 PCI express 16 slots (+others). I assume that the GTX275 is in one of them so use the othe PCI express16 for the second card. Not as cheap as the USB graphics card but a better solution especially if you can afford another GTX275. I've got a GEForce 210 PCIexpress 16 card you can have if you want it. Just pay the postage to where you live (not sure about customs in Denmark). Its brand new in the box. I bought it to try 3 cards in one PC but it wouldn't fit physically because of the heatsinks of my existing cards got in the way.
regards
geoff

Shawn
08-27-2012, 11:10 AM
What are you hoping to display on the three monitors? If its gauges there are far better and relatively cheap solutions to the issue. Using a second networked computer and a freeware gauge package would be your best bet. That would depend on what aircraft you are simulating as well?

Shawn

Wulffn
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
jonesthesoftware: Thank you, i'll think about and and then write back to you! really appreciate your help!

Wulffn
08-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Shawn: The three monitors is for gauges and the projector is for the view. I have a second computer that i use for surfing and school. The graphic card is an Nvidia GT8500, it has a dvi and hdmi output, but if i connect the projector and a second monitor in that card and play fsx the fps drops. Is it a program to view the gauges over network?

geneb
08-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow. Totally unrelated.

g.

jmig
09-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Wulffn, the more pixels you push out of the computer, the harder it is on the computer. That will cause FSX to slow down. The least expensive way to achieve what you want is to use another networked computer. There is a French gentleman who makes a program called FSXpand. This program will run on a second computer and send gauges over to its monitor(s).

He recently upgraded the program to version 6 and added a FMC. Unfortunately the price then tripled. I think you can still get the "Basic" version without the FMC for around 50 USD. It works well and has a lot of flexibility. There is a demo version.

As mentioned by Shawn, there are freeware programs that will also give you a basic set of gauges, which will run on a second or third networked computer.

Wulffn
09-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the reply. I went to the local computer store to buy a graphic card. He suggested an Asus Geforce GTX630 ti, so i bought it and it works great :)

I have some questions about the gauges, i undocked the gauges i needed and moved it to the other monitors, but it went back to default after i closed fsx. Can you save the panel to the monitors or do i have to do it everytime i want to play?
Is there any panels that are high resolution? When the gauges are a little bit bigger than normal, its almost impossible to read it?

amzee85
10-30-2012, 01:32 PM
post in wronge section