PDA

View Full Version : ATI graphics card

bindook
01-10-2007, 04:34 AM
I am running a ATI 256mb PCI-E graphics card in a intel dual processor board. Now & then the display goes haywire..(checkout photo) & reboots :-( . I have tried different drivers, re-installed the driver that came with the card, tried different settings but it still doesn't go away. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael

AndyT
01-10-2007, 04:50 AM
It looks like your memory on the card is overheating.
Do you have a built in cooler on it?

Trevor Hale
01-10-2007, 08:16 AM
I have the same problem with my Radion 9800XT 256. The silly cooling fan that comes on it quit working and now the card overheats regularily. Make sure that you move any of your other cards further down the bus line to allow more air to be able to circulate around the card. You may need to install a few different fans to help cool the card.

That should help.

Mine still does it once and a while, but not with flightsim, only high demand games like Battlefield, etc.

Trev

bindook
01-11-2007, 02:36 AM
Temperature did x my mind so i will try it with the side cover off & install another fan to help the card cool down., hopefully this will solve the problem. :-)
There is a fan on the card but looks like it wouldn't do much

Thanks
Michael

AndyT
01-11-2007, 03:36 AM
You might have to install an add-on cooler to keep it nice and chilly in there. Heat and never cleaning the inside of your box are the two big killers of computers. And not cleaning it makes more heat.

bindook
01-11-2007, 05:13 AM
I've had FS running for over 2hrs without a problem. Attached is a photo of what i did. The graphics card is the red one with the fan on the left. My next test will be with the side cover on. Don't have to remind me about dust, i had a amplifier & couldn't work out why it kept cutting out on a 30 degree day. Opened it up & it was covered in about 2-3 inches of dust. Luckily it didn't catch on fire!!!

Michael