PDA

View Full Version : How would I cut/paint this? Black lines on panel

dcoker
07-09-2012, 03:05 AM
Hey folks, first post in a while. I've been going crazy trying to figure out how this panel was made. I know I've seen it on here before but I just can't find the post.

Basically, I'm wondering what the technique is behind those black lines surrounded by the white lines surrounded by grey. Is this an engraving trick or paint trick?

Looks like a white panel was hit with gray, the lines were engraved and then masked and filled with black (seems like a precise paint job or maybe there's another pass with the CNC where the black lines will be so their area is defined).

Or: Perhaps a white panel with a layer of black, then a coat of gray. One CNC pass reveals the black, and one goes deeper to reveal the white.

I know I'm over thinking this! Thanks for any help. (and to whomever that photo belongs to)

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/448/2002082308vg9.jpg

Gordon Turner
09-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Hi, I entirely sympathise as I have the problem myself. I went an entirely new route by first using my cnc to cut the panels and then cutting pockets. I then cut out the inlays and spray painted them. I then very carefully reset everything in the cnc and engraved the lettering. After about three days, you know what I did, I bought ready made items off Sismo.

Honestly, I think they are screen printed. I went to my local screen shop and they wouldn't touch it unless I bought a 100 or more.

They'res just some things that aren't worth the angst and this is one of them.