PDA

View Full Version : Matrox TripleHead2go and three 27" LCDs

Heron 1B
06-09-2012, 02:18 AM
G'day,

Should imagine this topic has been posted here many times so my apologies if that is the case.

My first question:

Anyone running three 27" widescreens for FSX external views with the TripleHead2Go digital? Did read somewhere that the Matrox can only handle up to 3 x 22" WS LCD monitors. Does the expanded external view appear stretched when using three 16:9 widescreen monitors? I have been Matrox Triple Head over three 4:3 19" monitors and it does not look out of proportion.

Matrox claim monitor size does not matter, it is the resolution. I believe the monitors must be capable of 50Hz. Three 27" monitors with resolution 1920 x 1080 running through Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital would result in 5760 x 1080. The graphics card must have dual-link DVI support which I am sure the EVGA GTX570 (which I have installed) does.

Second question:
Where do we find monitors capable of 50Hz? It would seem most are limited to 60Hz - 75Hz.

Been looking at two monitor models, ASUS VE278Q 27" and Samsung S27B350H 27" both with 2ms but I am sure both are limited to minimum of 60Hz. Should I consider another more suitable monitor with small bezel? Realize all three must be the same model and size for the extended view.

Another issue is bezel size, thickness. See some guys carefully remove the bezel so the screens butt on to each other with minimum gap.

Cheers,
Delf

jonesthesoftware
06-09-2012, 08:50 AM
Hi
You can use 3 of ANY kind or size of monitor or TV with pc inputs with the TH2GO. Maximum is 3 monitors or TVs @ 1920X1080 pixel resolution.
Nothing to do with screen size.This resolution equates to what is called 1080p HD resolution of a modern HD TV.

You can set FSX to widescreen mode in the config file. I'm using 50 inch HD tv's and no problems with proportions.
Check the Matrox website to make sure your graphics card is compatible, they have a list of all graphics cards there you can use. Go here
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/support/compatibility/gxm/

regards
geoff

BeaconOne
06-10-2012, 03:02 AM
Hi Delf,

The specs listed on Asus website says the VE278Q can handle 50 to 85 Hz signal.

Note that the TH2G lacks HDCP support. I learned this the hard way when trying to connect Hitachi projectors to the TH2G. Have not tested this with Full-HD displays or TV's. I think it's worth looking in to before investing.

-Henri

a340-th
06-11-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm using 50 inch HD tv's and no problems with proportions.

Hi Geoff,

may I ask how many 50 inch TV's you are using and what is your experience ?

I cannot make up my mind whether to use 3 projectors or 3 TV's (50 - 55 inch).

jonesthesoftware
06-11-2012, 07:50 AM
Hi
I'm using just 2 HD Tv's via one TH2Go, you can download a software fix from MAtrox to allow selecting the correct HD resolution for just 2 outputs to give 3840X1080 ( 2 times 1980x1080P). Difficult decision of projectors against screens. No wrap around with screens but really good sharp pictures. Haven't figured out yet if it's possible to mount the tv's at the same angles as the window frames of my shell, need to investigate that. I think projectors with wrap around would give the best immersion experience but I don't have the physical space for the projection screen so I opted for TV's. I used the 50 inch as they will fill the window frames of my shell when I finally get it finished
regards
geoff

a340-th
06-11-2012, 11:58 PM
Hi

thanks very much. I guess I will keep vascillating for a little more time. I do have a space issue too.
I suppose you are useing one streched view over the 2 screens ?

Heron 1B
06-21-2012, 02:54 AM
Hi Geoff and Henri,

Sorry for the late reply to your posts.

Geoff many thanks for that Matrox address and tech info, most helpful. I too have a space problem for the sim, attempting to use short throw projector at the moment, the external visuals are not so good. Sure LCD or LED would give a sharper picture.

Henri, thanks for the input, my current projection screen is 2m x 1.5m flat not curved and is 1.2m in front of the MIP forward windscreen. The Sanyo Short Throw Projector sits below the screen at a distance of 60cm. My cockpit occupies all of the small room which is 2.5m x 2.5m. As I mentioned to Geoff above, the projected external view is not that clear when compared to LCD monitors (or T.V.). I agree, need to consider all angles before investing in three 27" monitors.

Another plus with three 27" LCD(s) and TH2GO would be the freeing up of 70cm by can moving the MIP forward allowing access to the right hand seat.

Many thanks for both your posts.

Cheers,
Delf

Westozy
06-21-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi Geoff,

may I ask how many 50 inch TV's you are using and what is your experience ?

I cannot make up my mind whether to use 3 projectors or 3 TV's (50 - 55 inch).

Your sim is too good for TVs Erhard! Projection with curved screens and warping software....no compromise!!! Build a bigger room if it doesn't fit!

Cheers Gwyn

a340-th
06-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Your sim is too good for TVs Erhard! Projection with curved screens and warping software....no compromise!!! Build a bigger room if it doesn't fit!

Cheers Gwyn

He He,

of course - you want to discuss the bigger room with Pranom ?

On the other hand there are those who say big screens (with 1080 resolution) beat beamers any day on quality. But seeing what the real good screens (still) cost I think it will be short-throw in the end. Just need to force myself to the decision.