PDA

View Full Version : Needing a lil help building a simulator

RedBull83
05-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Hello everyone, my name is Jason & I'm currently stationed @ Ft. Campbell KY. I'm in the process of heading to AZ for a 8 month school becoming a UAV operator. While I'm gone I am going to begin turning my 20'x20' bonus room into a racing simulator.

Now I know this is an aviation forum but from what I've been able to access on my phone you guys seem to be one of the most knowledgable when it comes to a curved screen & 3 projector setup. I would like to know what I need to have to have a 180 degree view perception (screen size so that it can be built) & what projectors I need to get for the best image. I ultimately want the best experience possible as this will also be used by my son to practice on since we don't have any open tracks close by.

Any info would be greatly appreciated & I'm sure a lot of this has been covered already however w/ only being able to access this sight off my phone I'm considerably handicapped when it comes to searching the site. Thanks in advance for any help.

Efe Cem Elci
05-04-2012, 01:28 AM
The thing that comes to mind, first and foremost, is "does the racing software you are using support multiple views and especially 180 degrees?"... what kind of a shell are you considering? if its just going to be a racecar shell then I presume you wouldn't need short throw projectors as we use those because the collossus that is the airliner shell gets in the way and casts shadows when using anything else in limited space. Not that you seem to have any problems in relation to space :)

RedBull83
05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. As for the programs I'll be running yes they will support the multiple screen/180 view. The "cockpit" will actually be half of an F1 car which is a single seater, open wheel car so there's really no blocking that I need to be concerned w/. I'm just trying to get the best visual experience possible & I really don't want to go w/ the standard 3 screen setup that so many use unless I absolutely have to.