PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight now available. Anyone tried it yet?

Sean Nixon
02-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I see that Microsoft Flight has been released (free!).

Anybody tried it yet?

Sean

AchillesP
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Hi,

I installed it this morning. It is a very good game to play when you have a free time at your office. :roll:

notgotaclue
02-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I forgot all about that - proves how much I cared.:p
Not even going to install it, I see no point in Super Mario Plane World.
Allan.

off to flightsim.com to look at the flight forum for a laugh.

Neil Hewitt
02-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I was on the beta (yay! I can admit it now!) and I played it for a grand total of about an hour before giving up. Not only did it perform like a dog on my (pretty high-spec) laptop, but after trying a couple of free flights (after the *obligatory* starting lessons), I quickly got bored. If you like admiring the scenery, fine. But the moment you want to start adding any realism - in terms of procedures etc - you're out of luck.

Now, Microsoft might start releasing all kinds of 'pro pilot' DLC, but I really doubt it.

A great shame. They've clearly improved the engine a fair bit. It would be nice to have that tech inside a real simulator. P3D is likely to be the way to go for those who want to move on from FSX for their pits.

Efe Cem Elci
02-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm just glad they removed the 'simulator' from the title. Wait for updates that add military planes and missiles for a better gaming experience that they expect to sell more than a simulation software that features realistic flight models.

weyes
03-01-2012, 04:07 AM
I agree with others.. I was a beta tester, installed the game, tried it for an hour or so and then forgot about it.
I don't like to fly to collect coins or pass through gates...

I looked at the option offered to configure the plane and a lot are missing so I don't think it is possible to reach any interesting level of realism. And there is no SDK as far as I know.
I suspect that for having good planes (if any will never be available) and a "reasonable world" to fly one must spend a lot of money.

To be honest I did not try the official version but what I heard in other forums there have been no remarkable changes.

DannyT
03-01-2012, 10:01 AM
get headache of it....

No Longer Active
03-01-2012, 11:31 AM
I cant wait until 'flight' comes out on the xbox. It would make a great late night game with the lads while cracking open a few buds!

But for the sim.....noooooo way!

Its pants!

Alex

wledzian
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
I tried it last night for a few minutes. I started with the first couple of missions (fly around balloons, land on a runway, take off, land on the water...), then went on to "free flight". I saw no options to reposition my aircraft. I saw no options to select a different aircraft (I suspect that this might have something to do with not yet having 'earned' another aircraft).

So, you start off with scripted training missions, which hardly qualify as training, in an aircraft instrumented more like a car than an aircraft. Airspeed, altimiter, tach, fuel gauge, GPS. Nice little AOA indicator front-and-center. No heading indicator, unless you count the GPS. No variometer. NO ATTITUDE INDICATOR!

Anything more than the default big island of Hawaii and whatever planes you 'earn' through missions is "Premium content", available via microtransaction.

My overall impression so far - it's a thumb-twiddler CONSOLE GAME that can also be run on the PC.

No Longer Active
03-01-2012, 12:12 PM
Its not a flight simulator at all, its a game!

ian@737ng.co.uk
03-02-2012, 12:32 PM
nothing serious about this. all i can say is 'it's good for nothing' :o
P3D is where the future is right now......
rgds

ian

notgotaclue
03-02-2012, 02:32 PM
On a certain forum anyone saying anything negative about Flight is made to feel they have mental problems and will get banned before you hit the post button, also has anyone read the errmmm unbiased review on the aforemention site? Basically it has no AI, ATC, no flight planner, no real weather and no coverage because apparently, we did not use those elements???????
I had to read it several times to make sure I read it right.
Allan.

blueskydriver
03-02-2012, 02:53 PM
MS Flight is a great comparison-contrast sales ad for Xplane 10. Flight is no comparison to Xplane and totally contrasts FSX...

It made me buy Xplane 10 for $79.99 today!

There is one person who is very very happy with MS Flight...Austin Meyer...lol.

On another site I posted this link:

http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2009/01/hawx-faq-general/

Replace every instance of Tom Clancy('s) or Ubi-Soft with Microsoft and every instance of H.A.W.X with Flight. You'll see that the wording for MS Flight release is right out of the Tom Clancy H.A.W.X "GAME" playbook...

BSD

Ps. the thing that is the worst is people saying the hobbyist, home builders or devoted simmers thinks Microsoft owes them something. In other words, saying we fit the oh so repeated "Entitlement" crowd. I don't feel Microsoft owes me anything; actually, I or we owe Microsoft a thank you! Thank you for keeping us from spending our money (where you normally rob us) on Flight first, and then finding out how bad it is for "Simulation". On the bright side, Flight "GAME" will make the K-12 kids happy.

notgotaclue
03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I think the main problem is we were misled, if they had come out and said it was - whats the word - thats it, sh1te, then I would have not got my hopes up for the 2 years of developement, as it was they were teasing us with titbits of info, and then bring out that pile of cack.
And no, I havent even downloaded it. Do I need to?
Allan.

blueskydriver
03-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Nope you don't need to download it because so many have done that and given such bad reviews. Even the beta testers are now saying they only stuck with it for an hour or so before it was released. Heck, the Spin Doctors at Computer Pilot, PC Pilot, and other Simulation News Outlets are going to have a hard time writing positive about it.

The all so called Unbias reporting or articles will likely go on and on about the graphics engine, the relationship with ICON, the wonderful new MS Studio Staff, and in turn say how the flight simulation community is not happy with Flight, but it's okay because Microsoft is breaking ground and going in a new direction or with a new vision. It's the typical CYOB writing; instead, they all should call it like it is this time...nothing but a poor rip off a GAME for money. No wait it was free! SURE, until you want to try something else after playing for an hour and getting bored.

For the peolpe who want to jump in and just pretend to fly, this MS Flight "Game" is for you. Just play, collect coins, fly through hoops and watch out for the hot air balloons! When you're ready to take the next "real" step into "SIMULATION", FS9, FSX, XPlane 10, and Prepar3D will be there happily waiting for you. Although, the hobbyist, home cockpit builders, hardcore simmer, who have been the backbone of all of this, might not help you all that much because of the insults thrown upon them...

rafaeljose
03-03-2012, 09:31 PM
Anyone know if some add airplanes for FS9 or FSX will run in the new Microsoft Flight ? ,I have the impression NONE….appear it is an other new "beautiful" game…, sadly I think the real flight simulation is over .

Any experience w/ the Lockheed Martin’s Prepar3D® simulation ?

For now I will keep my FS9 and FSX

Thanks

project 727
03-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Now that FLIGHT has been released does anyone know if Microsoft will cease to produce, support and sell FSX as it did with fs9 when FSX was released?

Joe Maldonado
www.project727.com
PRESERVING THE ELEGANCE AND
TIMELESS DESIGN OF THE BOEING 727

notgotaclue
03-04-2012, 07:14 AM
Anyone know if some add airplanes for FS9 or FSX will run in the new Microsoft Flight ? ,I have the impression NONE….appear it is an other new "beautiful" game…, sadly I think the real flight simulation is over .

Thanks

You have more chance of adding FSX airplanes to Grand Theft Auto.
Allan.

rafaeljose
03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Fellows:

I think we just started a big turmoil in all the FS9/FSX add-on’s business world: software/hardware like flight illusion, Captainsim, Goflight, Accu sim, PC, Computer Pilot magazine etc….What will be the future of flight simulation and add-on after this new “children-game”?

I guess during the FS9’s time we got the maximal period of the flight simulation, after the FSX platform all has been falling until now, the new MS will terminate this business ?

I guess that this hobby became soo very expense that only the few/ senior have the opportunity, time and monies to build the cockpits, by experience the new generation has been preferring to use consoles like playstation and others devices, therefore MS will make more monies if is focus in the new generation…I am wrong?

Thanks

notgotaclue
03-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Yes, Flight is a turkey totally unsuitable for our needs, but My sim of choice,FSX, is not going to self destruct next week.
If another add on is never released for FSX I could happily use it for another 10 years with what I have now.
Microsoft has totally dropped a bollock on this one and I doubt we will see another simulator from them.
Allan

Efe Cem Elci
03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
You have more chance of adding FSX airplanes to Grand Theft Auto.
Allan.

actuallyyyyyy....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n51MKOHjZbA

I never knew about it till you mentioned it :)

rafaeljose
03-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Efe, thanks for the link, I never know also about this Grand Theft Auto, with the infamous new MS, all airplane can flight like that BUT w/ a better graphic !! !

notgotaclue
03-07-2012, 07:33 PM
I did it - I downloaded Flight - Go on, hit me with a wet kipper but I had to see for myself....
The verdict...even worse than I imagined. The ICON was about as realistic as Jordan's tits.
It has some good points, mainly that it was stable and no friggin' autogen popups, it also looked pretty, but that is about as far as it goes.
I "played" with it for about 2 hours forcing myself to enjoy it. There is SOOOOOOOOO much missing that I cannot even begin - in fact I wont. I also found myself pressing the keys I have mapped for FSX :-)
I fail to see how this is going to entice new blood into the genre, it was boring beyond belief. Fly from A to B to get a hamburger from an airport 15 miles away. Take some cargo to an airport 15 miles away. Search for some coins near an airport 15 miles away. etc etc.
Now some bright spark might say "How can you call this boring when you fly in the cruise at 35,000 feet for 2 hours in FSX?"
Simples - I can believe I am flying an aircraft in FSX, I can fly to Madrid from Manchester following procedures to the letter and get some minor sense of achievement when I do a flight by the book without fooking up. When I shut down after a flight I stop short of stretching, lighting a cigarette and asking Mrs Notgotaclue whether it was also good for her.
In flight I didnt get that. I just heard myself saying "transport some oranges 20 miles down the island - big deal".
So, I am glad I tried it but it was below my very low expectation.
Allan

AchillesP
03-15-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oADN1Gp2eM&feature=channel