PDA

View Full Version : pairing software to IO boards

Infinity
02-28-2012, 03:01 AM
There are so many boards and software to combine with MFS that it's become very confusing on how to match everything up. Can someone explain the simpliest form for adding toggles/pots/encoders.

For example, Leo Bodnar's card uses FSUIPC. Opencockpits card uses SIOC, then there's PMDG, ProSim, etc. etc. There's such a vast number of options, I'm drowning in decisions.

If I just wanted to use the default fs9 or fsx software and wanted to add a few toggles, pots, and/or encoders...what would be the easiest way to do this?

What about adding/controlling LEDs for annunciators?

I'm sure there are pros and cons to everything, I'm just looking for a direct answer so I can determine what path I need to take.

claushansen
02-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Hi

There are many ways and different solutions. Leo's card are very easy to use. Trough this you can connect toggles pots and encoders.

Have a look at my site, perhaps it can help you. I have also posted some few tutorials who to connect LEDs.

http://www.737sim.dk/page7.html

Regards
Claus

Bernie
02-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Hi,

Also take a look at the Pokeys Card for simplicity but clever. http://www.flightsimparts.eu/simulator.html

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Infinity
02-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys. Sentences like these are confusing me:

FSSymphony, free software interface between PoKeys 56E and FSX - FS9 via FSUIPC or IOCP. available for download via [url]http://www.flying-the-winglets.de/ReviewsHardware0.html#FSSymphony[/urce

Trying to imagine all the programming required to get the above working, seems like a lot of work.

Clause, you are using an OC card for LEDs. It would seem easier to stick with the OC Master card instead of throwing Bodnar into the mix. Was this decision just a financial one?

I guess more specifically, what LED board and IO board combo would require less software and programming? I can always add more boards to accomplish what I need.

If Bodnar had an LED solution, I'd just go that route with FSUIPC and be done.

Infinity
02-28-2012, 12:44 PM
What would be nice is a schematic or graph -

Like if you choose this card - you will need this software
If you choose this software - you will need this hardware

etc, etc.

Is there an LED board and IO board that can just run off one software to connect to MFS such as FSUIPC or an equivalent?

kiek
02-28-2012, 01:59 PM
Life is not that simple, I'm afraid. ;-)

And yes you can use an Opencockpits USB expansion card + an Opencockpits Mastercard. It runs SIOC to connect with MFS, via FSUIPC offsets. Note that you do not need to configure FSUIPC, just let it start automatically by MFS, you only have to program in SIOC.
You can connect encoders, pots, switches and leds.

What do you need more?

regards,
Nico

Infinity
02-28-2012, 11:53 PM
Kiek, at least you were to the point and that is what I needed to know. Your simple post actually explained a lot. I think I'm beginning to get the big picture now. 8-)

claushansen
02-29-2012, 05:33 AM
Hi

I selected the BU card due to it's very easy, and don't need any programming other config in FSUIPC. If you select the OC boards you need a master and a expansion card, and then make all the code in SIOC.

I selected the USB output board because it's very simple and based on recommendations in this forum.

I think it's also a matter of how simple/detailed you want make your sim. Today i have 3 BU's 1 USB Output, 1 USB Servo, it requires more and more config.

Regards
Claus

fordgt40
02-29-2012, 05:50 AM
One other point to bear in mind. Think about where you may wish to be in a few years time as your knowledge and experience grows and also your aspirations :)

In the future you may wish to introduce conditional actions eg if switch A is on then light up led B, read and act upon encoder values etc etc. Some of the simpler interface boards only use FSUIPC as their interface, and as such, you cannot easily introduce conditional actions. It all depends on where you want to be :)

Regards

David

kiek
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Today i have 3 BU's 1 USB Output, 1 USB Servo, it requires more and more config.
Mixing boards of different suppliers adds to the complexity. You could have chosen for OC cards only ... ;-)
You already had to learn to program the OC USB Output board in SIOC, so why not try to do the same for inputs...?