PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 172 Annunciator Panel

cessna57
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of building a sim' cockpit based loosly on a Cessna 172.
I would like to hear from anyone that knows how I could build an annunciator panel similar to the simkits annunciator.
http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=1618

I don't mind if it's not exactly like this one but I would like to know how to go about making one.
Hope you can help.
Kindest Regards
Brian

Tom_G_2010
02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
Hi Guys,
I am in the process of building a sim' cockpit based loosly on a Cessna 172.
I would like to hear from anyone that knows how I could build an annunciator panel similar to the simkits annunciator.
http://www.simkits.com/product.php?prodid=1618

I don't mind if it's not exactly like this one but I would like to know how to go about making one.
Hope you can help.
Kindest Regards
Brian

Interesting timing. I'm just about to start designing mine. I haven't worked out all the details yet but have a concept I'll be drawing up soon. It'll be interesting to see how we each approach this as compared to other builders. I have a couple small pieces of light aluminum channel that I'm thinking of drilling out to receive LED's. I'll place small separators between each LED and then make the face plate from a couple layers of clear plastic with the lettering printed on one of the middle layers. I already have a phidgets 64 board to drive the LEDs and a script created via FS2Phidgfet V5.

It sounds great when I talk through it and in my minds eye looks perfect. Next comes reality . . .

AK Mongo
02-16-2012, 01:09 AM
I also have all of the LEDs working via phidgets and fsuipc. Have not got the display system completely dialed in. Phase 1 used square plastic grid like us used to diffuse flourescent lights. In the meantime, I have laid hands on a simkits unit that I am hacking to use with my system. Never really figured out how to make the face of phase 1 look good.

I also laid hands on a non-operational real annunciator panel. When time permits, I will probably tear it apart to see if it is usable.

Reid

cessna57
02-16-2012, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys,
I am hoping, if it's possible to route my annunciator panel through my opencockpits inputs'outputs card if it's possible that is.
I am hoping someone has already done this and can let me know how.
Good luck with your respective builds,
regards
Brian

Tom_G_2010
02-17-2012, 07:13 AM
I also have all of the LEDs working via phidgets and fsuipc. Have not got the display system completely dialed in. Phase 1 used square plastic grid like us used to diffuse flourescent lights. In the meantime, I have laid hands on a simkits unit that I am hacking to use with my system. Never really figured out how to make the face of phase 1 look good.

I also laid hands on a non-operational real annunciator panel. When time permits, I will probably tear it apart to see if it is usable.

Reid

Reid, Is that real annunciator out of a Cessna? It would be great to get the face plate dimensions if that were possible.

AK Mongo
02-17-2012, 02:51 PM
It is. It is a Heads Up Technology model # csewca-01.

I would be happy to give you the measurements, but give me a day or so.

Also, please look at your pm's Tom.

Reid

AK Mongo
02-21-2012, 09:07 PM
Tom,

Are you looking for the whole faceplate, just the clear part, or what.

If you want the whole thing I will do my best to do a drawing, but I am no drafter.

Tom_G_2010
02-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Tom,

Are you looking for the whole faceplate, just the clear part, or what.

If you want the whole thing I will do my best to do a drawing, but I am no drafter.

Just the face plate would be great. Thanks!!!

I have an LED frame designed using some aluminum channel but need to finalize LED positions to best resemble the real thing.

So knowing the face plate dimensions and label positions would be very helpful.

Again, Thanks!
Tom G.

AK Mongo
02-22-2012, 02:30 PM
I will get that done for you today or tomorrow. I may have an easier way to do that though based on what I learned from the real tear down.

Rather than doing it grid style, you could duplicate how the real thing works by starting with a solid piece of material(plastic, wood, metal), and drilling through the back in the right places to make the right hole pattern. A drill press and small piece of scrap wood would suit nicely.

Picture of the back of the real thing.jpg (http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/a4c9201c.jpg)

The dimensions of the back are: .68"h x 3.38"w x.69"d.

Reid

AK Mongo
02-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Front plate dimensions of the plate are:

3.52"wide
.788" tall

outer edge of plate to outer edge of bezel opening .26"

Bezel exterior measurement:
2.95" wide
.788" tall

Bezel interior measurement
2.767" wide
.618" tall

Bezel thickness .088"
Bezel depth to plate .088"
Bezel depth to annunciator face.112"

I am using a fairly cheap micrometer, so the measurements may be off by a few thousandths, but this should be good enough for starters I would think.

Here are some pictures of the front from the top, side and face on:
Top (http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/4f8e3857.jpg)

Side (http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/ff8c7af1.jpg)

Face (http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/34050a79.jpg)

Do you think it would be most helpful to get dimensions from the back to show where the openings are for the lights for each indicator, or do you want me to guestimate lateral distances on the front for each label?

Please ask questions if you want more info. Happy to help as much as I can.

Reid

Tom_G_2010
02-22-2012, 09:31 PM
. . . Do you think it would be most helpful to get dimensions from the back to show where the openings are for the lights for each indicator, or do you want me to guestimate lateral distances on the front for each label? . . .

Reid,

Thanks for the measurements!!! The height and width of my frame design aren't far off the mark at all so it should be real easy to adjust the design for a nearly perfect match. Regarding the label positions, I think measurements of the openings in the back of the face plate would work best. That will allow me to match the horizontal spacing of the LED mounts to the label positions.

Again, Thanks!
Tom G.

Tom_G_2010
03-01-2012, 11:38 PM
Reid,

Thanks for the measurements!!! The height and width of my frame design aren't far off the mark at all so it should be real easy to adjust the design for a nearly perfect match. Regarding the label positions, I think measurements of the openings in the back of the face plate would work best. That will allow me to match the horizontal spacing of the LED mounts to the label positions.

Again, Thanks!
Tom G.

Reid,

Any chance you were able to get those additional measurements for the label positions? I'm hoping to squeeze in a few build hours this weekend. The work schedule is nuts so haven't had many hours on the pit build in the past week or two.

THANKS!!!!
Tom G.

AK Mongo
03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the reminder Tom.

Here goes:

The total width of the indicator assembly is 3.52"
display edge to edge is 2.74" centered in the 3.52"

Height of the letters in both rows is.24"
The wall between rows is .036"

Hope this makes a little sense. Bear in mind that this is measured from the back, so the order will be reversed looking at it from the front.

Top Row widths
---------- line width1.25"
wall between ---------- and R indicator(for fuel) .04"
R indicator = .238"
wall between R and LOW FUEL= .028"
LOW FUEL width= .80"

Bottom Row widths

VOLTS Width=.725"
wall between VOLTS and R (VAC)=.045"
R Indicator=.244"
Wall between R and VAC=.016"
VAC display=.430"
Wall between VAC and L =.022"
L indicator=.241"
wall between L and OIL PRESS=.015"
OIL PRESS width = .993

If you are trying to recreate this in life size, I may be able to scan the front plate and email it to you so that you can get the proper font/spacing, etc. Might be easier than decoding this stuff.

Reid

Tom_G_2010
03-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the reminder Tom.

Here goes:

The total width of the indicator assembly is 3.52"
display edge to edge is 2.74" centered in the 3.52"

Height of the letters in both rows is.24"
The wall between rows is .036"

Hope this makes a little sense. Bear in mind that this is measured from the back, so the order will be reversed looking at it from the front.

Top Row widths
---------- line width1.25"
wall between ---------- and R indicator(for fuel) .04"
R indicator = .238"
wall between R and LOW FUEL= .028"
LOW FUEL width= .80"

Bottom Row widths

VOLTS Width=.725"
wall between VOLTS and R (VAC)=.045"
R Indicator=.244"
Wall between R and VAC=.016"
VAC display=.430"
Wall between VAC and L =.022"
L indicator=.241"
wall between L and OIL PRESS=.015"
OIL PRESS width = .993

If you are trying to recreate this in life size, I may be able to scan the front plate and email it to you so that you can get the proper font/spacing, etc. Might be easier than decoding this stuff.

Reid

Thanks for the dimensions!!!! A full scale scan of the face plate would be perfect! Thanks!

I'm hoping to build the circuit board and LED mounting frame this weekend and start to figure out the face plate.

AK Mongo
03-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Tom,

Will get to work on that for you. Have discovered some neat stuff re: the panel.

According to the 172r information manual, the indicators should all blink on the annunciator for appx 10 seconds before going steady on. Not sure how to do this in fs2p, but will work on it. I also have actual numbers the real thing uses before lighting, instead of the ones I figured out through trial and error.

Do you know when and why the "--------" section lights up?

Tom_G_2010
03-02-2012, 08:21 AM
Tom,

Will get to work on that for you. Have discovered some neat stuff re: the panel.

According to the 172r information manual, the indicators should all blink on the annunciator for appx 10 seconds before going steady on. Not sure how to do this in fs2p, but will work on it. I also have actual numbers the real thing uses before lighting, instead of the ones I figured out through trial and error.

Do you know when and why the "--------" section lights up?

I built the configuration using FS2P 5 with a combination of trial & error and some googling, but don't recall if I used actual specs or not. If you have the real numbers that would be cool.

As for the blinking, I suspect with a bit of experimentation we could figure out how to do that in FS2P. I'll start poking around with that and we'll have to compare notes.

As for the the bar lighting up I really had not given that any thought. I was just mimicking what I saw in FSX and didn't pick up on anything specific.

My phidget 64 board has been collecting dust for some time while I worked on the wire harness and control linkages. But the fuselage is sitting in an unheated garage and with the most recent blast of cold weather I'm back in the house doing some of the small electronics parts of the build. I was going to buy my new windshield this month but may push that off and buy the servos for my flap indicator or dc motor for my auto pilot elevator trim wheel instead to give me a bit more indoor work. I can heat up the garage to allow for comfortable work with a portable heater but that's a pain.

webitman
10-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi Reid

Just like to mention that i have great interest in the annunciator panel and enjoying the great input here, but there seems to be a problem with your pictures, when the links are clicked it says photobucket pictures removed, can you please check.

paul

AK Mongo
10-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Paul,

It appears the photobucket links are bad now, I will check it out and repost the links later today. Thanks for the heads up.

Reid

AK Mongo
10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Try These:

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/sim%20pics/4f8e3857.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/sim%20pics/ff8c7af1.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/sim%20pics/a4c9201c.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac52/akmongo/sim%20pics/34050a79.jpg

Reid

webitman
10-17-2012, 06:09 AM
Thank you Reid

These pictures are very good, they will help to understand your earlier post about the dimensions of the frame, I am certainly looking forward to the progress of this project and it's final outcome, as will many others.

paul

kermit
10-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Hi, I have a simkits annu for sale , in great condition
70 euro
greetz