PDA

View Full Version : Hi all - New member just starting out on new build

molisam
01-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I am a new member to MyCockpit. I have been flying sim for quite a while now currently using FSX. I have decided that I need to step things up and move away from my single LCD screen, keyboard and joystick!

I intend to immerse myself fully in sim flight by building a 737NG cockpit! I am a competent DIYer but some of the electrical intricases look quite challenging to say the least!

This website has already beeen a great source of information and inspiration for my project. I know I'm going to encounter many problems (no, challenges) along the way so I hope you guys will help me out from time to time. Is 3 years enough or will it be neverending? :wink:

Regards Rob (molisam)

notgotaclue
01-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Hi,
3 years will get you to the third build, the first two you will not be happy with and take apart. ;)
I was also daunted by the electronics, but just take your time and ask questions if you are unsure. There is nothing worse than blue smoke coming of a piece of electronics you just paid 100 quid for.
My biggest problem is the visuals. I have been deciding for 6 months whether to use projectors or tv's and keep going back and fourth. I need to decide pretty soon as my pit is almost ready.
Whereabouts in the UK are you from?
Allan

molisam
01-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Hi Allan

I live on the East Yorkshire coast.

As far as visuals are concerned, I've just aquired a projector from a friend and have just had a quick look at the quality of the projected image onto a white wall. I was a bit disappointed with the colours / contrast etc. It was not replicating the images to any great degree. The projector was clearly a very cheap model. If you go down the projector route, I think that you get what you pay for - if you've a good spec PC and graphics card, it probably goes without saying that you don't want to unravel the computer's good work with a poor projected image.

Anyway, I look forward to years of rebuilds and smoking electricals! lol

Regards Rob (molisam)

Geremy Britton
01-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Rob

Sounds like your not too far away from us. I'm in brid if that bears any relevance to your location.

Cheers

molisam
01-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Hi Geremy

I live just outside Hornsea so I'm not too far away from your good self. :)

molisam
01-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Had a dig around in the out-house this afternoon...came out with a 19" LCD monitor, a 15" LCD monitor and a small Dell laptop with a 10"x7" screen...I feel a 'glass cockpit' coming on! If I can network the small laptop I could use it somewhere in the panels...any suggestions?