PDA

View Full Version : 2 MasterCard Burned - Please Help

AdnFly
12-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Hi,

I am new to cockpit building. After doing a lot of research, I decided to buy OpenCockpit's ready-to-use I/O cards and 7-segment display..

I tested the Display Card with 7-segment display but it didn't work, so I thought there is something wrong with the Master Card, so I use the another Master Card and try to connect one card at a time.

When I connect only the USBExpansion card to USB slot on my PC, the red LED on the card is on. Checked with Controlador.exe, USB is detected and running. When I connect the MastedCard to it, the LED is off. When I connect the +5V and GND power from ATX Power Supply, there is a fire and smoke coming out from the MasterCard PCB line between the GND cable and DB9 connection. However, after the fire, I checked the MasterCard Input with Controlador.exe and it stilll works, but haven't tried the output, though.

I tested the power supply it is 5.4V. I bought an 500W Power Supply and did the conversion. I connect the green wire with black wire to turn it on, and as suggested by many people, I connect a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor between the red and black wire for the load.

I follow the OpenCockpit's document and read several postings on several forum and also some builders' websites and it seems that everything should be ok.

What did I do wrong? Please Help.

I am plannig to buy another MasterCard from OpenCockpit but I need some advice from all of you first because the shipping itself will cost me EUR 87 and I still have to pay 25% Tax and Custom charge.

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Adni

jonesthesoftware
12-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Adni
did you connect the 5Volt the correct way round on the master card the +(plus) is nearest the DB9 connector?
regards
geoff

AdnFly
12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
Hi Geoff,

You are right. I just tried to switch the power for the Master Card and it works, and my display card shows all 7-segment display correctly.

This is quite embarassing because it is in the OpenCockpit documentation and it's been in front of me all this time and I knew I read it already.:oops:

Thank you so much. I will test all the inputs and outputs of the Master Cards and see if it is still functioning properly.

I am so excited to try SOIC programming now. Already printed all Nico's SOIC How-To from his website.

Again thank you so, so much for your help, Geoff. This is a great forum.

Best regards,
Adni

jonesthesoftware
12-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Hi Adni
glad I could help. That's why I enjoy this forum because you can always get help here.
kind regards
geoff

wannabeaflyer
12-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Hi Adni thats a mistake i made a few years ago with my master card, as a tip i was able to replace the burnt out section of the Track on the pcb by using a wire link soldered to bypass the burnt out track section and the board was fine -- a good testament to Opencockpits pcb's i suppose or just lucky i guess that no other parts seemed to be damaged .. lesson learnt though :-) they do great products and must have all the card sell by now just really slow on my part getting them fitted to my ever changing cockpit dreams LOL :-)