PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my new 3dof motion sim going through the side of my house

737NUT
12-18-2011, 09:54 AM
Well friday was a very busy and long day for me. As soon as the wife left for work at 6:30am, I opened up the side of my house for a direct shot down to my basement. I put 2 2"x12" planks down my stairs, one rope, one ford truck, my brother, and presto, 1000lbs worth of sim is in the basement! We were done and I had the house back together by noon!!

Just to give you an idea of physics working here, when the sim crested the wall and started down, my brother only had to take his foot off the brake as the steep angle and weight of the sim literally pulled his truck up the small hill towards my house! And to think I was inside below this thing guiding it down the stairs, yikes!! Allot of help from God on this one!

I had the sim back together and working by 10pm that night. We are all having a blast playing in it. Anxious now to start figuring out how to interface this analog computer to today's digital computer and a flightsim software. It outputs analog voltages for all parameters so it is possible to keep it all orginal and still interface it to the sim. Hint hint, looking for an engineer to help here. i will pay you! :)

I posted a few pics with a description by each one

Thanks for looking,
Rob

737NUT
12-18-2011, 09:56 AM
Here is a picture of the sim getting ready to start it's decent into the basement.

Matt Olieman
12-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Amazing Rob.... Congratulations!!!!

Matt Olieman

737NUT
12-20-2011, 04:34 PM
I put the opaque window covers on it last night which simulates flying in the clouds in daylight, wow!! After just one ILS approach and landing, I was suffering a little motion sickness! LOL Just like in the real plane, it will pass soon as I readjust to it. Pretty cool stuff. Still looking for the electrical engineer to contact me :)

Rob

mach7
12-22-2011, 05:27 AM
Rob.....Wow!

You weren't kidding!. You know when you are a serious enthusiast when....

Nice looking sim. There is so much potential to add on visuals etc....looks like a very interesting project!

Very nice job!

737NUT
12-22-2011, 09:36 AM
Rob.....Wow!

You weren't kidding!. You know when you are a serious enthusiast when....

Nice looking sim. There is so much potential to add on visuals etc....looks like a very interesting project!

Very nice job!

Thanks! It's been fun so far and to think this is late 60's tech that is still working via an Analog PC! Very cool how they built this thing for it's day. Found out it cost 36,000 base price in late 60's

I will get a video up soon of it.

Rob

Nick1150
12-23-2011, 03:02 AM
That's an excelent project, looking forward to seeing the video ;)

50fighterfan
01-03-2012, 02:11 AM
As impressive as the sim itself is, and it is impressive, yet that pales in comparison to the fact that you have a wife who actually let you cut a hole in the side of your house to get the sim into the basement!

Wow, just WOW!

George

Ronson2k9
01-03-2012, 03:29 AM
WOW. That is amazing. You just can't separate a man from his sim to long.. Did you go down STAIRS or was it a ramp all the way?

notgotaclue
01-03-2012, 10:33 AM
As impressive as the sim itself is, and it is impressive, yet that pales in comparison to the fact that you have a wife who actually let you cut a hole in the side of your house to get the sim into the basement!

Wow, just WOW!

George

He waited until his wife went to work before taking the house apart. ;)
Now that is forward planning.

Allan.

737NUT
01-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Thats funny! Yes, I am blessed by the good Lord to have a wife that trusts me enough to cut a hole in the side of the house. She knew it all was happenning, just wasn't there to go into a panic state. LOL I am even more thankful to have a brother that is continually there to help me do this crazy stuff. ;)

Rob

bas_v
01-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Great project, love what you did to the house ;)

Won't you have problems with aging parts and finding replacements?

737NUT
01-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Great project, love what you did to the house ;)

Won't you have problems with aging parts and finding replacements?

Luckily I bought 3 of these and have allot of spare parts. I had to swap out the Attitude board yesterday on Sim #1. Now I can take my time and repair the original one. Believe it or not, a few spare new parts are still available but pricey. These things cost 36K when new in the late 60's. :)
Rob

bas_v
01-05-2012, 02:58 PM
You bought 3??! No worries in the spare part department then :)

Do you have any additional information about those sims (just curious)?

737NUT
01-06-2012, 01:00 AM
You bought 3??! No worries in the spare part department then :)

Do you have any additional information about those sims (just curious)?
Were you looking for certain info? I have all the manuals, blueprint schematics, lesson books, and even an original sales book.

bas_v
01-06-2012, 04:16 PM
I was a bit curious about the functions & features, is there some online resource to read a bit about them?

737NUT
01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I was a bit curious about the functions & features, is there some online resource to read a bit about them?
Not really, but there are a few sites with a little info. They were designed to mimic a cessna 150 including prop wash, aileron drag, out of rigged flight controls, P factor, etc. Good enough to get FAA certification. It use allot of real parts as well. Mine has dual Nav/Com's, DG, ADF, engine gauges, all the basic flight instruments. It does a pretty good job, not as stable as a real plane but close. Sorta like X-plane. :)

Rob