PDA

View Full Version : "Adjustable" Rudder Pedals

Infinity
12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Anyone got simple plans to make commercial rudder pedals adjustable for various leg lengths. I want the whole pedal system to simply move forward and aft and lock in place with a hand crank.

My thoughts are to attach the (saitek) pedals to a piece of board which is attached to simple cabinet tracks. The rudders can now move forward and aft. My problem is adjusting and locking.

I've seen pins that simply drop in a hole to lock, but I want to adjust it with a hand crank system. Any ideas?

Infinity
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM
60 views and nadda.

After a few more deep thoughts, I decided on a screw jack or simple nut and bolt system. I'll be doing a run through soon. If anyone's done something similiar please post.

Goldmember
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I'm building rudders at the moment and I've tought of a mechanism that works like a car jack but horizontally. Same thing, also with cabinet tracks (that's how you call the things on the side of a drawer, right?). Shouldn't be neccessary to lock that, I assume it stays in place where you leave it after turning the handle.

Westozy
12-12-2011, 09:55 PM
How about driving a piece of threaded rod to move your rudders with a 12V windscreen wiper motor, I have toyed with this idea for motorising my seats. Wiper motors are quite strong and they usually have a good worm/wheel reduction gearbox that provides good torque.

Cheers Gwyn
Aerosim Solutions

Goldmember
12-13-2011, 04:26 AM
In the real 737, the rudder is adjusted manually. On the other hand, I was considering leather upholstery on the whole interior trim already :D

Efe Cem Elci
12-13-2011, 06:10 AM
In the real 737, the rudder is adjusted manually. On the other hand, I was considering leather upholstery on the whole interior trim already :D

And here is that piece, courtesy of Nick at APHS...
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/rud2.jpg

Infinity
12-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for posting that pic. I've been searching for a detailed pic of the boeing assembly without any luck. That will help tremendously. The wiper motors were a great idea too. Thanks all.