PDA

View Full Version : need help for laptop screen

pilotmarc767
11-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Hi to everybody,
I have two old laptop that is not working anymore, that i was wondering if this possible to use the screen only for my cockpit instrument. i dont know if this might be possible as i wanted to remove the screen on the laptop and use them seperately. if there is anyone that have already tried that could give me a help how to do it.

regards
marc

tomcat78
11-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Hi Mark,
Yes it is possible, but trying to find compatible hardware may prove to be more trouble than it is worth.
With LCDs so cheap these days. Also with the option to remove the panel from the plastic holder, it can be easily mounted.
I have also found that older laptop screens have poor viewing angles too.

Regards
TOM

notgotaclue
11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Totally agree.
Screens can be had off ebay for next to nothing - I was watching a 19" one which I could collect as it was in the same town as me. Perfect for my needs. It sold for £1 - guess what? I forgot to bid :oops:
Allan.

Goldmember
11-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Big screens cost next to nothing but small screens are hard to find. If you need a small one because of the space you have, this can be a problem. I converted a 15" flatscreen to a 13" by swapping the panel for one from a laptop. If the resolution is the same and the flatcable on the panels as well, it should work.

pilotmarc767
11-29-2011, 01:36 AM
Hi Guys,
Yes i toyally agree with all of you i already got the screen for the Mip but as i like to play around to see if it is possible to get this working,
I live in Mauritius and even here we have some great deals on computer and other hardware, also nice price on screen.
marc

mrmaster
12-03-2011, 04:38 PM
you live on Maurtitius? Where? i've been there a few times... beautiful :D I tore apart an old Laptop for my EFIS and standby instruments - I am looking for a screen for my ND and PFD that is really difficult to find.... I used a screen from the scrapyard until now... but I just installed panels with switches so it doesn'T fit anymore....

m