PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? - Upper ECAM displays lag slightly.

bobsta63
11-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Hi all,

Just wanted to check if its just me getting this issue or not?...

Basically I mainly have a problem with lag on the upper ECAM window, if I say set the flaps to position 3, the aircraft responds immediately and starts deploying the flaps to position 3 but the upper ECAM window is delayed and sometimes doesn't even show the the 'blue' markers and will then jump incrementally to the flaps position (like its lagging).

I just wanted to check if this is correct and not just an issue I am getting?

I am using Beta 23.1 on both PC's (the second PC is running the upper and lower ECAM's as well as PFD and ND) - all other displays run perfectly fine and are pretty much real time. - Is it the case that the upper ECAM requires much more heavy processing and therefore this could be expected?

Cheers,
Bobby

jeehell
11-19-2011, 08:14 AM
Hello,

Is it only the flaps information which is lagging? I mean, do the N1, EGT, FF etc lag as well? If it's only the flaps then it's not lag.
The EWD is a little bit heavier in terms of processing than the SD, but not dramatically more... the 2 of them can run on a rather old PC I think.

Regards.

bobsta63
11-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Hello,

Is it only the flaps information which is lagging? I mean, do the N1, EGT, FF etc lag as well? If it's only the flaps then it's not lag.
The EWD is a little bit heavier in terms of processing than the SD, but not dramatically more... the 2 of them can run on a rather old PC I think.

Regards.

Thanks for your quick reply JL...

Yes the whole display seems to lag (N1, EGT and FOB etc. all lag) but like I say the PFD and ND as well as the lower ECAM are fine :-)

If it helps - I am running the displays on a second computer running on a Pentium 4HT (3.2GHz) with 2GB RAM, Windows 7 and a 1GHz NVidia PCI-E graphics card.

If it helps I could always try and do a screen recording to show you the lag? - Its not too much of a big deal but I was just wondering if anyone else had this issue or if there was any tips I could use to possibly increase the speed of this panel?

Originally I did put the Anti-aliasing up on this particular panel but have since removed it (and double checked it was removed) but still doesn't want to play nicely lol!

jeehell
11-19-2011, 10:32 AM
How many different instruments on that computer?
Do you have the EGPWS option ON on the ND?

JL

bobsta63
11-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Not that I am aware of... If this is on by default then Yes (I haven't disabled it).

On the second machine the only Windows I have running are PFD, ND, Upper and Lower ECAM. - I also tried closing the PFD and ND windows on the machine the other night just to see if by closing down some of the other windows I wouldn't experience the lag but even with just the Upper and Lower ECAM windows on screen I still got the lag.

Is there a simple way of me finding out if I have the EGPWS running? - Is this the 'Sound' window?

Do you have a specific Window configuration you'd like me to try? - eg. FGMS Server, Overhead panel and AP/FBW running on the server and then just the ECAMs running on the second? - That is what I currently have tried but still experience the same issue - Maybe you'd like me to try a different configuration?? - I assume that the above is ok and should work no problem?

Thanks JL :-)

jeehell
11-19-2011, 12:48 PM
The EGPWS is set through the MCDU, via the MCDU MENU button then the EGPWS field.
Can you tell me how much CPU is used by the EWD? it can be seen in the task manager in the process tab.

bobsta63
11-19-2011, 04:51 PM
The EGPWS is set through the MCDU, via the MCDU MENU button then the EGPWS field.
Can you tell me how much CPU is used by the EWD? it can be seen in the task manager in the process tab.

I've taken a couple of screenshot for you to look at JL, as you can see the system CPU appears to be using 100% CPU but as you can see I have hardly any processes running and the machine has just been reinstalled so I can dedicate it solely to running your panels.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Bobby

jeehell
11-20-2011, 05:25 AM
Hi,

I'm affraid it seems your computer is a bit overwhelmed by the software... That's the problem with single core computers, my software is not optimized at all for them.
If you say you just reinstalled everything, try to make sure your video drivers are up to date, it could do some help.

Regards,
JL

bobsta63
11-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Hi,

I'm affraid it seems your computer is a bit overwhelmed by the software... That's the problem with single core computers, my software is not optimized at all for them.
If you say you just reinstalled everything, try to make sure your video drivers are up to date, it could do some help.

Regards,
JL

Oh thats a shame :(

What spec's do you recommend for a PC to run the displays like I want to? - I don't have all that much money to go out and buy a brand new machine to power some panels so would you say that an Intel Core2Duo (2.8Ghz) with 4GB RAM do the job ok? - I might try and pick up a cheap second hand machine on eBay to power them but if you could give me a rough idea of what you have currently been using to run your panels on a second PC that would be great :)

The display drivers are all up to date - I've already fully checked that :) - I've disabled the Windows Aero theme and set it to Classic to try and free up as many system resources as possible.

jeehell
11-20-2011, 06:55 AM
A dual core should do it, but i cannot say for sure, if other people here have already tried it's your best shot. I personnally use a quad core i7, so it cannot really compare to the budget you have for a second hand PC...

bobsta63
11-20-2011, 07:02 AM
Ok thanks JL,

My main machine (which I want to keep dedicated to purely running FSX and the Overhead panel etc) is also an i7 which runs super fast and is great for running FSX but I just thought that a P4 would be fine for running some panels lol. - I suppose that I could run some panels on the main machine but ideally I wanted to move them off to a dedicated one.

I do think that getting an i7 just for running panels is overkill lol... thats why I don't want to fork out the money for another 'beefy' machine if an intel core2duo will do the job fine :)

If anyone else is reading this and is running panels on another machine could you let me know your specs and how they run etc :)

Cheers,
Bobby

Fritz
11-20-2011, 11:50 AM
Here is my system configuration. Runs very well.

bobsta63
11-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Here is my system configuration. Runs very well.

Wow nice!

Thanks for sharing your configuration and setup with me, looks like I'll have to invest in some heavier hardware for the panel machines then :s.

I'd love to see some photos of your cockpit if you have a website up??