PDA

View Full Version : AMD 6970 Eyefinity tripple monitor setup problems

Dont Sink
11-08-2011, 03:14 AM
G'day fellow Aviators how are we? This is my first time on these kinds of forums and the first time I have got semi serious with my flight FSX. Before I go into the issues I am having I will let you guys know the specs on the PC I have recently acquired, they are as follows;

-800w PSU & Card Reader
-Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 MB LGA 1155, Intel Z68 Chipset Motherboard
-2nd Generation Intel i7-2600 Core i7 QUAD Core 3.4 GHz, LGA 1155 CPU
-ATI Radeon 6970 2 Gig
-8GB DDR3 Elixer/GSKILL 1600MHz Dual Channel RAM
-Display Port Adapter for AMD Eye Infinity for 3rd monitor
-OS WIndows 7 Premium 64bit

The issues I am having with FSX are as follows

-The Virtual cockpit is way too big even when I zoom right out.
-I have no 2D cockpit, just a black panel so to speak where the cockpit should b
-The individual Instrument panel selections are big.
-The mouse pointer is flickering like mad and there is that loading circle constantly around it.

I brought this system from a guy who supposedly deals with Flight sim computers but he tells me he has no idea about the setup, geees thanks mate. Anyway, I have gone through several posts and I really have not found a solution nor was I able to do some of the things mentioned. I have read that some guys recommend changing the Wide View Aspect ratio to TRUE, but I dont know how to do that on WIN 7, the examples given I think are for VISTA? I also think 2D view on FSX is not possible anymore with a 3 monitor setup, is this true? I love my 2D view so I'm hoping there is a way to get it working.

This is all I know at the moment guys, your experience wisdom will be greatly appreciated as I am desperate to get these issues solved. If there was a guy out there that specialized in these things I would even pay the guy to fix it for me, that's how frustrated I am at the moment. Anyway, enough of me carrying on, hope to hear from you guys.

Cheers

Don't Sink

Jasmckee
11-08-2011, 04:19 AM
Hi Don't Sink,

i have a very similar set up, first up, do you have any graphics issues with any thing else? second thing, rename you fsx.cfg file in the following (mine is set like this) d:\users\flightsimpc\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx folder. you may have to select show hidden folders in the control panel/folder options/ under the view tab, select show hidden folders. give that a try and see if that make any difference, then report back, i will try to help you out. i use three screen on two seperate video cards with out a problem, i have the 6950 card and to use two screens you must use a dvi-d screen, also if you want to use more than one screen you must use fsx in windowed mode, it is a bug with fsx. again try that and see what happens

Jason in Brisbane

Jasmckee
11-08-2011, 04:22 AM
Hi Don't Sink,

i have a very similar set up, first up, do you have any graphics issues with any thing else? second thing, rename you fsx.cfg file in the following (mine is set like this) d:\users\flightsimpc\appdata\roaming\microsoft\fsx folder. you may have to select show hidden folders in the control panel/folder options/ under the view tab, select show hidden folders. give that a try and see if that make any difference, then report back, i will try to help you out. i use three screen on two seperate video cards with out a problem, i have the 6950 card and to use two screens you must use a dvi-d screen, also if you want to use more than one screen you must use fsx in windowed mode, it is a bug with fsx. again try that and see what happens

Jason in Brisbane

Dont Sink
11-08-2011, 04:39 AM
G'day Jason how you going mate, thanks for your reply. In answer to your first question I would have to say no I am not having any issues with anything else as I don't have anything else on the computer. Its a new rig and I got it made solely for FSX. I changed the wide view aspect ratio to True and that did not change anything at all, I restarted FSX again but no luck. I have 3 LG IPS236V monitors and they are running through the DVI-D cables, is this what you mean? How do I use FSX in windowed mode, please excuse the ignorance?

Cheers.

Jasmckee
11-08-2011, 05:24 AM
the monitors should work ok, when fsx has loaded and you are in the cockpit, press ALT+ENTER and that will give you windowed mode

Jason

Dont Sink
11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
Windowed mode does not work either buddy. the 2D cockpit shows only the outside view, you cant see any instruments. All the other panels are very large as well as the virtual cockpit, even when I zoom right out. The system seems to be continuously loading evident from the mouse point flickering and the loading circle around it. What screen resolution do you have set? I have mine on 5928X1080 and same on FSX.

Jasmckee
11-08-2011, 05:57 AM
Hi,
my fsx is running on a single screen and i use one of the screens for the fmc (hardware fmc) and the other screen i use for other programs i use with fsx
well check to make sure that fsx has the correct screen size set in the options from the settings menu, also might i suggest that you try setting the resolution back to the native screen resolution and have fsx window set on one screen only. also when you have the cockpit window open and running, under the view drop down make sure that the main panel is selected as your main view, i am presuming you are using a default aircraft.

let em know how it goes, off to bed now but will check back in the morning and see if i can help further

Jason

Dont Sink
11-08-2011, 06:15 AM
When you say set the resolution on the monitor back to its native one are you saying the recommended resolution? If so, mine would be 1920X1080 and I have tried that. What happens when in that resolution is that you have FSX running on all three screens still and the display is duplicated or triplicated in this instance. How do we prevent this from happening so I can use the other monitors to display other views panels etc? Look forward to hearing from you in the morning.

Cheers mate.

notgotaclue
11-08-2011, 12:07 PM
The reason your mouse flickers is because you have not set up the panel.cfg, you have to adjust this for each aircraft.
Have a look at
http://forum.avsim.net/topic/310084-fsx-triple-wide-panel-fixes-default-ac/
Allan.

Dont Sink
11-08-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Allan, thanks for that info buddy, but the post on that forum does not tell me how to go about changing the Panel CFG. and the link at the bottom of it does'nt work. I will register myself on that forum and see if it will work then. Also guys, I'm not sure but I adjusted the wide view aspect ratio to True on the notepad for the FSX Cfg. Is this right? I feel like it may not be correct but I am unable to change it on the other FSX Cfg. file??

Cheers mate.

Jasmckee
11-09-2011, 02:40 AM
hi yes you use notepad to make changes to the fsx.cfg. to change your screens to display a different image on each screen, and not clone each other right click on the desktop and select screen resolution. then in that screen, click on each display and you will have a drop down box that you can select to have the screen display the same as on the main screen or extend desktop to them, hope that helps, i have never had to set a panel.cfg for each aircraft when using the eyinfinty set up when i tried it briefly.

let me know how that goes

Jason

Dont Sink
11-09-2011, 05:08 AM
Hey Jas. I currently have 1 monitor selected and have chose extend to display. I have my desktop in the middle one and the other ones on either side have just the windows symbol on it. The mouse does go through all monitors too. However when I run flight sim, I can drag the main window from one monitor to the next but how do I get a new view on a different monitor. Did I do as you mentioned in your previous post. In the Catalyst control center under desktop management I have the left monitor labelled as no.1 the middle one as no.2 and the one on the right as no.3 however on the bottom of that screen is a picture of three monitors and in that one the arrangement is different. It has the one on the left as no.2, the one in the middle as no.1 and the one on the right as no.3. I have played with the settings a few times but I dont think I am getting anywhere, maybe because I'm not doing it right.

Jasmckee
11-09-2011, 05:47 AM
the numbering isn't so much of a problem, you can grab the screens (when displayed in display properties) and put them where ever you want, for example you can have them stacked, as far as opening a new view in fsx, you will need to select a new view from the view menu, once you have opened that view you can drag it to what ever screen you want, so long as fsx is in windowed mode. fsx can be a pain but once you get used to it it is a simple to do, let me know if that has worked for you

Jason

Dont Sink
11-09-2011, 06:16 AM
Hey Jas. I currently have 1 monitor selected and have chose extend to display. I have my desktop in the middle one and the other ones on either side have just the windows symbol on it. The mouse does go through all monitors too. However when I run flight sim, I can drag the main window from one monitor to the next but how do I get a new view on a different monitor. Did I do as you mentioned in your previous post. In the Catalyst control center under desktop management I have the left monitor labelled as no.1 the middle one as no.2 and the one on the right as no.3 however on the bottom of that screen is a picture of three monitors and in that one the arrangement is different. It has the one on the left as no.2, the one in the middle as no.1 and the one on the right as no.3. I have played with the settings a few times but I dont think I am getting anywhere, maybe because I'm not doing it right.

Dont Sink
11-09-2011, 06:19 AM
I have FSX running in window mode but when I select new view, I can not take it outside the original window, I'm about to pull my hair out man, what have I done wrong?

Dont Sink
11-09-2011, 06:35 AM
I worked out how to move it across man, you have to select undock window. Thanks for all your help. I just wish there was an easier way to do this, as it is going to be a pain to do this every single time I start up.

notgotaclue
11-09-2011, 10:26 AM
-I have no 2D cockpit, just a black panel so to speak where the cockpit should b
-The individual Instrument panel selections are big.
-The mouse pointer is flickering like mad and there is that loading circle constantly around it.

This is definately to do with the panel.cfg for the aircraft.

Your panels are set up a 1x size, but for triple montiors they must be set up as 0.33 size i.e a third, then when they are loaded they are not H-U-G-E, which is why you mouse flickers, your panels are massive and your frame rates are through the floor.
I have attached the fix I used. It is not my fix so credit to the author.

Jasmckee
11-10-2011, 02:29 AM
glad you got it working, you don't need to set it up every time, if you move the panels or views to where you want then save the flight and make it the default, when you reload fsx the panels or views should be in the same spot you saved them in.

Jason

Dont Sink
11-10-2011, 10:24 PM
hey Jas, thanks for your help but I am not able to join up the windows together to get a proper looking virtual cockpit view. I guess this is the downside of doing things this way, do you have the same problem?

Notgotaclue, I thank you for your help too mate. I tried what you mentioned with the other guys panel fixes and the problem there is that you cannot see the runway in front of you at all. If you try to bring the whole panel view down to see the runway. well then the bottom third of the gauges dissapear into the bottom of thew screen and defeats the purpose. Also the virtual cockpit is still quite big is that able to be fixed?

Cheers

notgotaclue
11-11-2011, 02:42 PM
Notgotaclue, I thank you for your help too mate. I tried what you mentioned with the other guys panel fixes and the problem there is that you cannot see the runway in front of you at all. If you try to bring the whole panel view down to see the runway. well then the bottom third of the gauges dissapear into the bottom of thew screen and defeats the purpose. Also the virtual cockpit is still quite big is that able to be fixed?

Cheers

Hi,
As my name say, I have notgotaclue
The fix I posted worked for me so I thought it was worth a shot.
Good luck getting it sorted as I know how frustrating it can when things dont go right.
Allan.

ddpatientaction
11-18-2011, 04:41 AM
I currently have 1 monitor selected and have chose extend to display. I have my desktop in the middle one and the other ones on either side have just the windows symbol on it. The mouse does go through all monitors too. However when I run flight sim, I can drag the main window from one monitor to the next but how do I get a new view on a different monitor. I have played with the settings a few times but I dont think I am getting anywhere, maybe because I'm not doing it right.

notgotaclue
11-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Open a new window with the view you want, then click undock and drag it to the other monitor.
Allan.