PDA

View Full Version : The Sky turned Gray! Help!!

Tom_G_2010
10-20-2011, 06:59 AM
My sky has gone gray in FSX. Clouds still show, but anywhere I should see blue it is gray. And, the gray bleeds down onto the land in several places and masks land about 15 miles out from my position. Airport beacons and some scenery objects show through but nothing of the terrain. I'm also seeing some static like vertical black streaks in the gray where it bleeds over the ground.

Just before the change I was making some minor scenery tweaks like shuffling the order of a couple scenery files. I also loaded an update to an airport from the virtual atc group I fly with. I've checked with numerous members of the group and no one else has experienced the issue. Also the scenery order changes would not seem to be the cause. Just to be sure I uninstalled the scenery and put the scenery file order back but it makes no difference, my sky is still gray.

I did find one workaround but it's really only masking the problem and not fixing it. I did a video card driver update and loaded the latest service pack for Active Sky Evolution. Now as long as ASE is running the sky is blue, but running FSX only the sky goes gray again.

With ASE:
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5705&d=1319070490

FSX Only:
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5706&d=1319070492

I realized after taking the pics that they don't show the ground masking because I was too close to the mountains.

Not sure what other information might be relavent, but here's the basic setup:

FSX w/Acceleration
FSUIPC4 latest biuld
ASE w/SP3
PC is running a Core i5
OS is Win 7 64bit
Video Card is a ATI Radeon HD5450

Any thoughts on how to resolve this (I'm really hoping to avoid a reload) would be greatly appreciated!

Shawn
10-20-2011, 08:31 AM
You could try running the repair tool on disk 1 of FSX. Back up your CFG file first though because it overwrites that during the repair. If you haven't made CFG tweaks it will be easy to revert back to the original CFG.

Shawn

Tom_G_2010
10-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks, I'll do that this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Bernie
10-21-2011, 12:35 AM
Hi Tom,

If you had said you were running an Nvidia Card and had just used the most recent driver, then I could have informed you that the driver changed the registery entry for colour type to half colour. So what I am getting to, there could be a similar entry in your registry that has been changed ???? This is normally only noticed when using Anaglyph 3D but it may, in your case, also apply even though you are not using 3D. Something perhaps to look into.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Tom_G_2010
10-29-2011, 07:17 PM
I ran the FSX repair this weekend. And the sky is Blue again! THANKS ALL!