PDA

View Full Version : Today I nearly set fire to my plane. Ooops

notgotaclue
10-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Howdy,
Today I was working on my pit, and as some of you may know I am converting a real business jet into a 737, which is working out surprisingly good.
I was cutting out a section of the aluminium to fit the Ace yoke using my old friend the angle grinder, now, I have already done some work to the back of the plane and put some insulation material behind the hardboard and under the flooring, so I was merrily grinding away producing an indoor firework display - some of you can see what is going to happen - sparks decided to go under the newly laid flooring and set light to the insulation, a small fire began.
I blew on it which had the effect of making the fire even bigger (i know, I know).
I ran into the house, threw Mrs Notgotaclue from the kitchen sink she is chained to and filled the bowl with water - ran back down to the garage and threw the water over the (now thankfully) smouldering fire.
This could have been a disaster and I am going out tomorrow to get myself a fire extinguisher as I dont want a repeat of today.
Allan.

Matt Olieman
10-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Live and learn..... right? OUCH!!!

I'm glad it wasn't more serious. :)

Best of luck :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

notgotaclue
10-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Live and learn indeed.
Luckily the fire didn't take hold but it was a wake up call.
I advise EVERYONE to get a fire extinguisher. They are reletively cheap and it took a close call for me to decide to buy one.
Allan.

Geremy Britton
10-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I advise EVERYONE to get a fire extinguisher. They are reletively cheap and it took a close call for me to decide to buy one.

If anything ... it all adds to the realism :) :)

Glad you and the sim are safe and well.

verticallimit
10-12-2011, 05:57 AM
I'm glad your sim was rescued.
A fire extinguisher is a necessity if you ask me.
I have from the beginning of my project a fire extinguisher, I use many computers and use much watts/amps, so the smallest loose connection could start a fire.
Consider also that when using low voltages (5 - 24 volts) that this uses more watts/amps to do the same work as in 230 volt. So low voltage is not harmless, and can generate much heat in the wires and in poor connections.

notgotaclue
10-12-2011, 01:34 PM
I bought one today - cost me £12 from Homebase.
Why I have not bought one sooner is beyond me.
Allan.