PDA

View Full Version : Basics of CNC

austintan
09-21-2011, 01:34 AM
Hi Guys,

I have hearing a lot of talk about of using CNC machines to build parts of the cockpit. I myself have one, however, i do not how to use it. From what i understand, the dwg have to be converted in to a certain code for the machine to be able to read it. For example, I'm now trying to build a 777 throttle lever, but i do not know how to use the CNC to make it. Any advice?

Thanks,
Austin

Wendy
09-21-2011, 02:04 AM
You have to import the dwg into toolpath software. Here you decide what path (cuts) the CNC needs to follow.
For a general idea about how to CNC you can read my interview here at MyCockpit.

http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/content.php/144-Feature-Interview-with-Wendy-And-Her-CNC-Machine

Regards, Wendy

CLaNZeR
10-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Hi

Most machines run on Gcode.

So you take your DXF file and then create a toolpath which is saved as Gcode.

Then you load it into your Application that reads each line of the Gcode and then sends the information out to the CNC machine controller.

Some people still write their Gcode up in notepad for simple parts as the commands are very simple.

I have some old links on the basics of CNC and Gcode on my site from the old 2006 pages that are still up there and may help.

Cheers

Sean.

riche543
10-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Hi Austin
Im sure you may have already found this site http://www.cnczone.com/ But just incase.
The response too most questions there are very quick, as they have a huge amount of members, & theres always someone there too help.
Once you grasp the concept of basic cnc , its not really that hard. I never thought i would be able to use cnc ,
Good luck keep us posted
Riche.

Westozy
10-25-2011, 07:23 PM
Hi Austin, get yourself a copy of Mach3 and Vectric's Cut 2D is a good base for drawing in as it's easier than CAD. VCarvePro6 is absolutely fantastic if you can stretch to buy it as it isn't too cheap!

Cheers Gwyn

austintan
10-26-2011, 01:54 AM
Thanks to all for your help :) I'll see wad i can do with it