PDA

View Full Version : smoking pot

johncor
07-31-2011, 01:38 PM
hi ,can anyone help.I've spent the last six months building a replica 737/800 TQ hand crafting levers,trim wheels.throttle levers etc and am really happy whit the results.then it all went pear shaped.When I wired it up to a leo bodnar bu 0836x card one of the pots I salvaged from an old game boy joy pad started smoking, so I immediately disconnected it.now I have to dissasemble the whole dam thing completely to replace al the pots.I'm sure I wired them correctly(center lug(wiper)to 5 volt left and right lugs to button and gnd.Question, what have I done wrong .The pots are 10 k but I don't know the rating.Otherwise their perfect for the job with 60 degrees of turn perfect for the throttle instead of the usual 300 degrees of turn you get from regular pots which are of no use, or what? which pots SHOULD I be using. I'm so lost and frustrated,HELLLLLLLP! .

iwik
07-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Hi Johncor,
Your wiring is INCORRECT, doing it your way it will smoke. Wiper must go to Leo input connections. The non moving connections should go to
5v and Gnd. The way you have it wil cause the pot to smoke when you turn the pot towards the gnd end. Now the resistance gets very low current increases and the pot is not rated for this power dissapation and the result is smoke.
Hope this helps
Les
Leo has a connection diagram on his site.

johncor
07-31-2011, 03:10 PM
hey thanks les,had i have done my homework first it would have saved the bother of redoing the whole thing again,ah well we live and learn,thanks again

Efe Cem Elci
07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
its a personal preference really... some smoke it, some don't. It doesn't matter either way, just make sure you are aware of the laws if you decide to smoke it. ;)

No Longer Active
07-31-2011, 05:54 PM
I just cant help but chuckle at the title of this post....brilliant! Im laughing my head off sorry! :) :) :) PMSL!

lenne
08-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Haha!Yep...the title was quite misunderstod.Hope you manage to solve your
problem...after the smoke clear's sort of speak:)

iwik
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Hi John,
No problems, seem a lot make the same mistake. Good to note others seeing the problem from another perspective. Not everything we do is a disaster.
Les