PDA

View Full Version : Bendix King KX155, rotary encoder question

Shawn
07-28-2011, 02:01 AM
I am planning a simple radio panel using the Bendix King KX155 radio displays from The Gauges Factory. I only have two dual rotary encoders that I bought for an eventual GPS project. I do however have a bunch of rotary encoders with a push button switch, could I use these to change the radio frequencies? I would like to be able to switch between the primary and decimal place numbers with the switch while using the same encoder? Is that possible? Hopefully I explained that well enough.

Shawn
07-28-2011, 12:24 PM
My wife fixed the issue for me, ya gotta love a supportive wife. She said "just buy more dual rotary encoders and get on with it". :D I would still be interested in hearing if there is a solution to using a single encoder with a push button switch?

No Longer Active
07-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Hi Shawn, read through this post. This is when I built my entire radio stack for my Cessna, Ian has posted a diagram on how to wire an encoder to a simple flip toggle switch. Flip one way to change first 3 numbers, then flip the other to change next set of numbers. Fortunately I have an Elite radio stack now, but this way worked a treat for the last year!

http://tinyurl.com/3brmbah

Hope this inspires/helps...

Cheers.

Alex

Shawn
07-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I never would have thought to use a DPDT switch, thanks Alex. That's a simple solution to my problem and since my radio's aren't modelled after anything specific I can decide how there going to function. I will go that route and save my dual encoders for another project.

Cheers
Shawn

No Longer Active
07-28-2011, 02:04 PM
No problem Shawn, if you need any further help feel free to shoot me a PM.

All the best.

Alex