PDA

View Full Version : How to wire a rotary switch with Leo bu0836x board

anatoliy
07-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Does any one know how to wire a rotary switch using a BU0836x board. I am trying to set up a some switches for 737sim panels. Any advise would help Thanks

Tony

AK Mongo
07-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Rotary switch or rotary encoder?

Reid

Shawn
07-24-2011, 10:25 AM
If it's a single pole rotary switch like this one;

http://media.digikey.com/photos/E-Switch%20Photos/KC-52-A-30.0-01-N-P-S.jpg

The centre pole is the ground. You would wire it and one of the switch poles to the ground and 5v switch input on the Bodnar board, every other switch pole would be wired to an individual 5v input and would share the common ground. With FSUIPC you can assign individual switch assignments to each position. Hope that made sense.

anatoliy
07-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Rotary switch or rotary encoder?

Reid

Rotary switch, i am trying to set up the Auto brake, RTO, etc, and engine start and etc buttos for 737 panel

fly_ebos
08-07-2011, 02:29 PM
Hi, stupid question: how does one share a common on the BU0836X ?
Do I plug in little wires and jump from common to common in series?

Masterploxis
10-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Hello,

i want to take up the question of fly_ebos again.....

How do i share a common ground on the BU Card ? I try to connect a rotary switch (no encoder) and want to connect the middle pin as shared GND for 2 switch positions.../GND B15 and GND B16 together, B15 one switch posistion; B16 one switch position). Only B15 Position works, when i try to switch B16 i get strange behaviour... I tried to use diodes but no change.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Andy

fly_ebos
10-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I think I can answer this one myself: the Bodnar card has a common ground. You just have to make sure that you share the ground on the inputs/rotaries and then connect the input wires onto the Bodnard card.

Masterploxis
10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi,

ok, where can i find the common ground on the BU card ??

So i wired...

Center PIN of Rotary to common GND on Bu Card - where ?
Rotary Switch Pin 1 to B15 Output on Bodnar Card
Rotary Switch Pin 2 stays empty
Rotary Switch Pin 3 to B16 Output on Bodnar Card

Sorry for a lot of editing this post....

Cheers Andy

Shawn
10-24-2011, 05:29 PM
The ground on the switch is common to all the outputs on the switch. There isn't a ground labelled "common" on the Bodnar board, all you need to do is run a wire from the ground on the switch to either ground input on the B15 and B16 card. As long as the ground is "common" on the switch, all the ouputs of the switch will use it.

Jasper
10-24-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi Tony,

Also check out this link.. Ian was a great help when I asked the same question a few months ago.

http://www.737ng.co.uk/rotaryaspot.pdf

Even though it explains the set up for wipers the same can be used for autobrake.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Mark

Masterploxis
10-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Hello,
Thanks for your input.

I figured out that the GND is shared for all inputs on the BU Card.

So i wired in a cirrect way. My problem and also the reason to ask again in this thread is the problem which i have.

For example:
Rotary switch pin 1 to BU0836 B15 input.
Rotary switch pin 2 stays unconnected.
Rotary switch pin 3 to BU0836 B16 input.
Rotary common GND to BU 0836 B15 GND (common).

Problem:
Switch rotary to position 1 - > B15 closed (works)
Switch rotary to position 3 -> B 16 closes a millisecond and opens again. It does not stay closed.

I see this problem in the USB controller setup in windows with the lights lighting up for the closed inputs. Maybe some feedback in the circuit ? I tried diodes also to clearly define the flow of power, but with the same result.

Any input appreciated....

Cheers Andy.

PS: wen i get home after work -i will make a short video.

makoy
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Just wondering that, are those rotarys break before make or make before break?

Masterploxis
10-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Hello,

no make before break and no break before make.

I just had the related inputs on the BU Card still defined as encoder inputs. I used them for encoders before, now wiring simple switches did not work.

I just deleted the encoder setting in the config utility and now everything works fine.

Like we germans say: Again what learned.

Thanks for your input.

Cheers
Andy

MadTrooper
05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
HI, Masterploxis, could you please drw me a diagram of how you connected your rotary switch. I would better understand and I have the same problem as you had. Thank you very much,

Masterploxis
05-30-2013, 06:36 PM
hello,

Just connect the rotary GND (middle pin) to any GND pin on the BU836 Card and the 1 - 12 pins to the related input pins on the BU card

cheers
andy

wiganpilotsteve
01-11-2014, 07:51 AM
I have been wondering about this myself! After browsing several different sites, I have noticed that a lot of these switch panels ready built come on a pcb which incorporates back lighting, but how would I achieve the same result myself buying a few rotary switches and soldering wires to them that then run into a usb control board? Is the result the same or are there other things involved?