PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION IPAD USERS !!! AWESOME BREAKTROUGH !!!

Stijn
07-15-2011, 06:12 AM
Dear Simmers and Builders

When doing my daily youtube routine, watching stupid and pointless video's. I came across Airdisplay for Apple devices. At first I thought it was just for mac but no!!
Even my old windows XP PC could do it:

So what is it?
It's a program that makes your ipad into a wireless touchmonitor. You can undock the FMC and have a FMC touchscreen.

Well you get the idea. For those who don't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdZC6rVbotQ

Program's website:
http://avatron.com/apps/air-display

Happy landings!!

Stijn

Matt Olieman
07-15-2011, 07:53 AM
Nice find. I love it!!!! :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

blueskydriver
07-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Stijn,

We've been using this for quite sometime and yes, it is a good program, as we use it with AivlaSoft EFB in the cockpit. Cannot fly without having this program running for sure...

However, Air Display can be problematic sometimes when Avatron does updates, if the Ipad loses Wi-fi connection, or Air Display times out. In some previous versions, the problems would have something to do with these three issues in one form or another, and they would not always happen at the same time.

We actually exchanged emails with the software writer/owner to help fix some of the issues. He is very good at working with the users to resolve problems. Air Display does work with WinXP, Win7, and of course Mac's, but there are differences in setups based the OS being used.

In spite of some minor things, Air Display is a must have program if you're using an Ipad. And, even if you don't use it for flight simulation, it is great for a many other things to do...like using it for the panels of Photoshop on the side.

BSD

Anderson/SBSP
07-15-2011, 09:08 PM
I use in my cockipt IDISPLAY for IPAD works fine too.

My little review in portuguese!! Sorry!! hehehe

http://vimeo.com/18562355

Stijn
07-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the additional info BSD and Mr. Anderson's video is quite self explaining thanks both!

After some testing I have to admit that it's not as smooth as i want i to be proberly because my wifi signal isn't that strong.
I think we all can say that for those who have an ipad it's a nice app. But wouldn't buy an ipad for it

Conclusion: Very nice and very well worth the 10 dollars :-D

Happy landings gentlemen!!

Stijn

Matt Olieman
07-16-2011, 12:38 PM
@Stijn

Must be your wifi connection because mine is extremely smooth. I was expecting as you described but was very surprised and pleased.

Matt Olieman

Stijn
07-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Yeah your right matt,

Tried it downstairs and worked just fine.

Maybe get some sort of wifi amplifier

Stijn

KEEPERCDN
07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
looks like a great idea, I if get one for free then I will look more in to this great idea thanks for the info.

blueskydriver
07-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Forgot to mention this and it'll help with the WiFi. For some reason as the Ipad's power starts to reduce even a little, the WiFi range gets weaker and Air Display doesn't like this. Therefore, plug your Ipad into an electrical outlet and watch the WiFi and Air Display work fine without dropouts.

Although, this might seem counter to the Ipad, but after playing with Air Display and 2 Ipads in the cockpit for some time now, this was a big problem. Try it and see if the problem gets resolved...

BSD

vybhav
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Great information, I have posted this on the home page for the benefit of all.

Shawn
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
I couldn't resist trying this app on my Ipod touch. I was surprised to see that I was able to display a single "Gauges Factory" gauge on my Ipod? The display is to small for anything more than a single instrument but it worked much smoother than I expected. This was also done across a WideFs network, it might prove usefull for anyone who needs to display a single instrument in an odd place on a panel and doesn't want to use a full size monitor? I plan to build a case to hold the Ipod and use it to display a radar altimeter guage.

Shawn

Jan737
07-24-2011, 01:49 PM
Hi all,
Just a question: I'm runnig PM instructor station on a WIN XP computer.
Would it be possible to show PM instructorstation on a ipad?

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

Anderson/SBSP
07-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi all,
Just a question: I'm runnig PM instructor station on a WIN XP computer.
Would it be possible to show PM instructorstation on a ipad?

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

Shure!!! You can display any software.

Kind regards,