PDA

View Full Version : Real Gauge mod's

newbie0
07-13-2011, 09:07 AM
:):)Hello All,

Have replied to a couple of threads here and there but new to the site. I am building a Boeing classic 747 simpit(or at least trying to).What I am looking for is REALITY.

In another term i do not want to use computer screens for gauges unless the lack of technology forces me to.

Is there anyone out there that can point me in the direction of someone that can modify real analog gauges to work through FSX or FS9?

What i desire is the Leo Bodnar product as per his posted vid for Mach7's engine gauge cluster but cannot find it offered on his webpage.

I do not want to send PM as I do not if it is appropriate without permission (?).

-Al

Ronson2k9
07-13-2011, 12:48 PM
We are here to help each other so it's not only allowed it's a good idea. If you're wanting to convert real gauges for use with the flight sim I would suggest you get a copy of Mikes book. Building Simulated Aircraft Instruments (http://www.mikesflightdeck.com/mfdb/bsai/bsai.html). It has everything you need to know on how to take real instruments and make them work in the flight sim.

But remember as the saying goes 'time is money' so the faster you want it the more it will cost. If you want to you can buy the gauges already for your sim but the cost is well expensive. Given you want to build a 747 classic (analog) then you are looking at a lot of gauges. If you can find the gauges and make the conversion yourself then it's a ton cheaper. Not free mind you but cheaper. I would get the book and take a look for gauges online Ebay and other sources.

newbie0
07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Thank you Ronson2K9. That information is helpful...but I think what I would like to do is modify already existing gauges, such as what Leo Bodnar is doing for the Mach7 project. I think Mikes book is more for constructing the gauges from scratch. Also doubt if i would have the personal talent do modify such a piece of hardware :).

I will keep sending out emails and request, and see what comes back.

I have sent a private message to Mach7 but have not heard anything back as of yet.

Thanks again

-Al

mach7
07-13-2011, 02:46 PM
:smile:Hello Newbie.I did get your message, but there is not much I can tell you with respect to your question(s). As you know, Leo is doing the modifications for me, so I do not have information on what or how to go about the modification process. All I can tell you is that they are real engine gauges that runs from a control board through a CANbus network. One side of the control box connects to the computer through a USB device, the other side has the Cat5e cables which are daisy chained to the engine instruments. The control box is also connected to a 24 volt power supply for engine gauge operation. (Leo's video clip basically says it all). The engine gauges, to my knowledge, are not yet complete, but I am confident that when things are not so busy, they will be completed, installed and run up to full power:). I don't think Leo would mind if you sent him a PM. however I think he is quite busy, so you might not get a fast reply.

Thats all I can tell you for now...good luck with your simpit!

newbie0
07-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the information Mach 7.

Al

douwe
07-20-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi Newbie0,
There is a diy picture tutorial on this site:
http://www.mycockpit.org/forums/downloads.php?do=cat&id=27
Regards,
Douwe

newbie0
07-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Thanks dowue.

I think I am going to try and aquire the gauges, and have them modified or done by myself. Really like the clean setup that Leo Bodnar has come up with for the Mach solutions.

Hopefully Mr. Bodnar will offer this product in kit form (?)

Al