PDA

View Full Version : FSX and XPNDR737 issues... need help guys !!!

Nick1150
06-04-2011, 01:32 PM
And the FSX nightmare continues !!!!

Hi to all,

I have recently upgraded to FSX instead of FS9 running the last 3 years.

The setup of the CPflight modules was straight forward and all modules (MCP EL + dual EFIS + 2 NAV + 2 COMM + 1 ADF + 1 ATC) worked under Port 3 from the first time, except the switch that changes the STBY ON/OFF, TARA, etc....

I am using Squawkbox.

So in order to set squawk C or STB I have to use the mouse.

Any hint will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

PS. I have posted the same question to the CPflight & SB forum

Clive
06-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Got the same problem Nick!

Nick1150
06-04-2011, 11:45 PM
Got the same problem Nick!and there is no fix ?

Clive
06-05-2011, 05:22 AM
and there is no fix ?

Not as far as I know Nick

Nick1150
06-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Clive,

So it is an FSX issue or a hardware issue together with FSX ?

Is there any idea as to where to put pressure to ? Meaning it is a PM issue to be solved or is it CPflight ?

Thanks

Clive
06-05-2011, 07:00 AM
Clive,

So it is an FSX issue or a hardware issue together with FSX ?

Is there any idea as to where to put pressure to ? Meaning it is a PM issue to be solved or is it CPflight ?

Thanks

I wish I knew, but it seems to be an issue with CP Flight radios .... its only recently that I discovered the problem as controlers were shouting at me to squark standby when I had the transponde switched in that mode already .... very frustrating as the only way to rectify the situation is to exit the cockpit!

Clive
\

metamarty
06-05-2011, 07:03 AM
I assume you are using an CPFlight ATC module as transponder.
Squawbox 4 uses a specific FSUIPC offset to check for the transponder being on. The software that is handling your CPFlight hardware is required to set this offset if it wants to interact with SB.
I don't know what software is handling your CPFlight hardware, but this is the only part of the cockpit that is able to fix this for you.
I have done the same in Prosim, which reads the CPFlight XPDR state and sets the required offset so SB switches its transponder on and off based on the hardware state.

Clive
06-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Hi I use PM software so I assume its that that handles the CP Flight hardware ..... is this an issue to take up with PM or something I can access through FSUIPC?

metamarty
06-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Hi I use PM software so I assume its that that handles the CP Flight hardware ..... is this an issue to take up with PM or something I can access through FSUIPC?
Yes, this has to be specifically added to the PM software. There's nothing you can do yourself.

Edit: Also note that it is not just the squawk mode. The squawk ident function must also be specifically added to the code so Squawkbox can pick it up.

Nick1150
06-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Two e-mails were already sent to Enrico, one yesterday and one few minutes ago... Let's see if this is going to be solved.

Thanks Marty for your help.

Jan Pemöller
06-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi there! I think it has nothing to do with PM. Maybe I am wrong, but we had the same problem with the FDS Hardware and this was solved by an driver update.
As the CP Flight modules also work without PM it must be a CP Fligth issue. Try to ask in the CP Flight Forum.
Regards
Jan

Nick1150
06-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Why not send a second e-mail to CPflight then ?

Thanks

Nick

Sean Nixon
06-06-2011, 04:25 AM
I'm not sure it's a PM issue either. And didn't you have tyhis problem with FS9? I do.

Nick1150
06-06-2011, 04:49 AM
I'm not sure it's a PM issue either. And didn't you have tyhis problem with FS9? I do.Nope I didn't

The Xponder worked since start, all modes, stb, C, TaRa, etc... in FS9

I thought it was an FSX issue... Isn't it ?

Sean Nixon
06-06-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm not 100% sure. My sim hasn't flown for a while but I've only ever used FS9 and seem to remember a similar problem with my CPFlight transponder.

metamarty
06-06-2011, 07:27 AM
No, this is a very simple issue.
Your CPFlight hardware is accessed through a virtual COM port.

Only one program can ever access this COM port at the same time.
The program that is accessing the COM port is the program that gets notified of the transponder mode and the ident switch.
This is the only program who can take action to notify squawkbox.

The CPFlight "drivers" are actually programs embedded in FS to open the COM port and make the default aircraft work with the MCP. If they are in charge, they must provide the info for squawkbox.

If you are using PM, the PM software is opening the port and is responsible for notifying SB. No CPFlight drivers are active in this scenario.

The key thing to remember is that there is always one and only one program communicating with your hardware, and this program is the one that must provide the support.

eschiratti
06-06-2011, 04:25 PM
The operation of the standby value is the very same, whether it is FSX or FS9. The hardware sends a command, the MCP sets the offset.

It worked with FS9, so possibly there is something with FSX that makes it not work. Possibly with SB.

When you set the XPDR to standby, it should and does write 1 into offset 0x7B91. When you remove it it sets it back to 0. And it worked for you with FS9, no? You can check that with pmFileCheck or any other program that reads offsets.

Did you check the SB settings by any chance? There might be an option for that.

Please let me know.

Nick1150
06-06-2011, 11:50 PM
Thanks Enrico,

As stated in my e-mail, it worked in FS9. SB does not have sych an option.

My question would be.... Is it only me and Clive or it is an issue with every FSX setup ?

eschiratti
06-07-2011, 01:05 AM
As stated in my e-mail, it worked in FS9. SB does not have sych an option.

Strange... I very vaguely remember that something like that needed to be set. We had a notam out years ago when FSX came out.

My question would be.... Is it only me and Clive or it is an issue with every FSX setup ?

To find that out you best try what I suggested. In pmFileCheck you enter in the text box to the right of 'Offset Check' 7B91 1 and see what value it is. If you want to set it use 7891 1 1 (see whether anything happens in SquawkBox.

But then again, if you google that offset you find several people are having issues (i think with squawkbox 4)... I think it was all connected to the fact that SB dropped using FSUIPC. (which i never really understood)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/283143-fsx-vsync-fix/page__st__50

Go to reply #69... Peter Dowson himself writes:

someone else>You can look at the FSUIPC offsets associated with SB to see if the values are set when the transponder gauge settings are changed. In the FSUIPC logging tab, check the Display to FS Window checkbox, set one of the boxes to offset value 7B91 and select type U8 from the adjacent type dropdown box. A value of 0 means it's in standby, 1 means it's in normal.

Likewise, 7B93 (also type U8) indicates ident pressed.

If these two change when you actuate their respective switches, then it's safe to assume the panel is interfacing with SB.

This is all true with Squawkbox 3, but SB4 doesn't use FSUIPC and I don't think therefore those offsets are of any use. Unless, that is, there's a later version of SB4 which has this interface built-in.

I've been wanting to try flying on-line with SB4 for several years, and wrote to the SB authors regularly for a while asking for some transponder facility to use in a cockpit, and I got a couple of rpelies long ago saying they'd "discuss it". But to my knowledge nothing ever happened. so I gave up. :-(

Regards
Pete

Jan Pemöller
06-11-2011, 09:58 AM
Maybe this will help: http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4426
That was my solution for me, but I do not use CPFlight!

Nick1150
06-11-2011, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the hint

So it seems I am not the only one....

So if it is a FSUIPC4 issue, why FDS has solved it ?

eschiratti
06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
So http://www.squawkbox.ca/doc/sdk/fsuipc.php is just a fix because SB does not use FSUIPC anymore in FSX... the mystery has been solved. Thank you Jan.

Clive
06-12-2011, 04:01 AM
I don't understand offsets very well ... is the solution to assign FSUIPC offsets to the squark mode switch in buttons and switshes?

eschiratti
06-12-2011, 04:05 AM
No... this needs to be re-worded.

SB4 has nothing to do with offsets anymore. They chose to go another route with FSX, probably because people were complaining about having to buy FSUIPC. I do not know why the authors of SB didn't at least include code on theirs side to check whether someone does have FSUIPC and for reverse compatibilitie's sake allow the transponder mode and other settings.

What is needed is a bridge between SB4 and FSUIPC and I think the link in the post above provides that.

I have no way into SB directly, only through FSUIPC.

eschiratti
06-12-2011, 04:06 AM
You shouldn't have to worry directly about those offsets, only about the bridge. Just read the article.

I vaguely remember there was a similar issue with FSInn a while back.

Nick1150
06-12-2011, 08:38 AM
You shouldn't have to worry directly about those offsets, only about the bridge. Just read the article.

I vaguely remember there was a similar issue with FSInn a while back.Hi Enrico,

you mean this ?

Transponder mode
0 = normal
1 = standby
SquawkBox reads this value to determine which transponder mode to send to the network. Your transponder gauge should set this offset when the user changes modes with your gauge.

If yes can you please direct us on which way to direct our enquiry ? If not PM, FSUIPC ? CPflight ?

I really cannot understand who can give us the solution on that !!!

eschiratti
06-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Nick... the old Squawkbox read that offset under FS2004. The new one apparently does not.

The CPFlight Hardware is telling the MCP to set the transponder to Standby.
The PM MCP gets that command and sets the standby offset in FSUIPC (you do not have to deal with that part as a user)
You can verify that by entering 7b91 1 into the offset check field in pmFileCheck. It *is* being set.
SB3 reads that offset and sets the transponder to standby.

The disconnect is here:

SB4 in FSX *does not care* that that bit is set. It did in the FS2004 version.

So if you contact the people who make SB4 and ask them to please, for backwards compatibility's sake, make a very quick function call to that offset, all problems are solved. Or perhaps there is another solution?

I can't talk to the SB4 software directly... if I could I would have done it a while ago. My hands are tied.

eschiratti
06-12-2011, 12:22 PM
If yes can you please direct us on which way to direct our enquiry ? If not PM, FSUIPC ? CPflight ?

Why don't you mention SB4 in that list? Those three components are all doing their job right?

Please just *google* 'sb4 fsuipc offsets' and read the threads, and you will see that several are having the issue and the disconnect is not on this end.

Should anyone reading this have or know of a solution, please share it?

eschiratti
06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
This is a completely private non-project magenta comment.

This thread is based on a need, and I have been writing software based on needs ever since FS4 back in ... 1754. Before many normal people even had an internet connection available, we were flying online on Compuserve, using a *chat forum* to transfer latitudes and longitudes altitudes and speed. The controlling took place by writing texts into that chat room and they were filtered out so the pilots and controllers could communicate with each other.

I also made add-ons dedicated to online flying, countless hours of work for freeware.

The present issue we are talking about involves two lines of code:

if hardware says on, set value 1
if hardware says off, set value 0

We are doing that. It takes more time to compile the MCP than to make whatever change is needed. It takes more time to upload the zip file with the change than to make the change itself. Just to put it into perspective.

I would only have to change the code to say:

if sb4 is used
do whatever it takes
else
if hardware says on, set value 1
if hardware says off, set value 0
endif

So if IVAO, VATSIM, EUROCONTROL, NASA or the Cartoon Network have a special convention for a transponder code that equates standby, as we can't talk to SB4, say for instance 7171... i w i l l d o t h a t.

Sigh.

Nick1150
06-13-2011, 06:26 AM
This seems chinese to me, but maybe for the most experience this could mean something (?)

http://www.squawkbox.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4475&sid=82bfb7c91ac4f6738eaa4cbd9ff6bc35

Nick1150
06-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Hi to all,

I think I found something.... Clive please do the following and advise if the problem is fixed. To make the long story, short, my xponder works with SB now !!!!

I really do not know which of the following two things that I did fixed the problem, since I didn't try it in between, but be my guest to do that for you...

so no1:

Run FSX on a gate of your choise, connect via SB4... You see the black box that SB pops up after connecting. It should say Normal (Charlie). Try your CPflight xponder switch to ta/ra. Normaly it shouldn't switch to anything, right ? Ok now press "start" on the SB window, then choose "transponder" and uncheck "flight simulator transponder". This will make the SB black box disapear. Move your CPflight xponder switch a few times. Now do this: Just press again "start" on the SB window, choose "transponder" again and re-check "flight simulator transponder". This will pop up the SB black box again. Now try again slowly moving your CPflight xponder switch to ta/ra again. Does it work ? Mine did.

If it does not please go to step no.2

No.2
Please download the new MCP CPflight driver for iFly737NG for FSX from the CPflight site. Install the driver. It is an easy to do setup. Restart your PC and try again connecting with your SB4 application to vatsim. Try your CPflight xponder switch again. If it does not please try again no1.

Sorry but I did both steps and I do not remember which was first and which was second, and as said I didn't try it in between.

Mine works now !!!!

Please advise about it,

Regards

Nick

Clive
06-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi Nick

I will try as you suggest tomorrow evening whenI am next in the sim and will report back!
Thanks for the heads up .. and thanks to Enrico for all his input ..... I am feeling so much better about PM's support!

Clive

Clive
06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Nick

I don't use iFly ... so will downloading drivers give me problems?

Clive

Nick1150
06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Nick

I don't use iFly ... so will downloading drivers give me problems?

CliveClive I really cannot answer this question. I have purchased ifly 737, and IMO it was not worth it. I fly the custom 737-800 now with this driver, and I have no issues.

Have you tried No.1 ?

Clive
06-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Hi Nick

I am going to try No1 tonight! will let you know

Nick1150
06-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Hi Nick

I am going to try No1 tonight! will let you know

Hope it goes well,

I just returned from my office and tried it again for the 4th time. Mine works now ;)

Clive
06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Hi Nick No.1 did not work .... not sure if iFly737NG drivers will do anything for me I don't have iFly737 installed

Clive

Sean Nixon
06-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Clive, I'm not sure the latest driver is specifically for iFly, there's only one driver as it does all [compatible] aircraft. It's always a good idea to be using the latest drivers, so it won't do any harm. Perhaps this latest driver also contains a fix for the transponder issue.

Clive
06-14-2011, 07:10 PM
OK then I will give it a go!

Nick1150
06-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Hi there,

Any news ?

Clive
06-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Ni Nick

not yet I am nervous of downloading new drivers until someone ... maybe Sean, reassures me that it wont seriously disrupt the sim!
I am very cautious of making changes! Got my fingers burnt a couple of years ago .... the CP Flight gear stopped working and I ended up returning it to Italy only to find there was nothing wrong with it .... when the gear was returned it took weeks to sort the problem ... never worked out 100% how I cured the problem!

Nick1150
06-15-2011, 02:29 PM
Clive,

I am totally with you on this. I too do not like changes, which I have paid with a few formats!!! I really believe that this driver will not hurt anything, since it didn't hurt mine on the one hand and on the other it is the only driver in the cpflight site for download now. So ifly or not ifly this is the driver to download. Nevertheless this is a big decision and its up to you to decide.

Personally I would email Paolo at cpflight and ask him to be sure.

Just my opinion,

Nick

Nick1150
10-02-2011, 03:14 PM
I have uninstalled SB4 today. This program has been crashing my on line flights for quite a time now...

That was it... SB4 is a hisyory for me.

I installed FSinn. It seems to be a very nice addon, eventhough it is totally different from sb4, which means that one needs time to understand how it works. Thats a small price to pay.

The problem now is the same as before... The sb charlie and stb does not work !!! :p

Anyone who has solved this ?

Nick1150
10-07-2011, 01:20 PM
A very interesting post concerning SB4 and mode C/S

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/60518-transponder/page__st__20