PDA

View Full Version : External view

ibennett
05-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Hi,

I am thinking on changing my external view to something better but would like to have some advice before hand, my actual cockpit you can see in the attached photo

The option I am thinking are:
2 monitor (but will I loss frame rate)
1 bigger TV
1 project

Any ideas

Thanks

Matt Olieman
05-23-2011, 01:14 PM
You've got a very nice setup. :)

If it was up to me, I would stick with the monitor you have and get two more, to get wide view. The sensation of flying would be tremendous compared to your current setup.

Just my opinion :) :) :)

Matt Olieman

ibennett
05-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Hi,

Thanks, I also forgot to say that place is limited as I am in the living room, 3 big LCD TV will not be accepted by my wife !! I have to stay resonable.

I have some question:
About the 3 display option, will I also have to have a special graphic card if I go this way and will I loss in frame rate (my actual graphic card is a Radeon HD 5xxx series, a good card).

About a projector, what about using it with light on in the room is it ok, what model should I be looking at, does it make noise, were is the optimium position. and basically is it a good solution.

About a bigger TV, ok this would be the easiest solution but I am not sure it will really make a difference, what do you think, today my TV is 32", I am thinking of one 42 or 50" TV.

Thanks,

Holclo
05-24-2011, 03:09 AM
My set up is very much like yours. I rejected the projector idea( and I already have one) because it will certainly add to the clutter plus the fact that a HD TV gives a much better image quality in all lighting situations.
At the moment I am considering building in around the TV and the top of the MIP with 3mm MDF to produce a sort of enclosure. Don't know how that would work but it may produce a better "cockpit feel" when one cannot see the surrounding walls.
Bill

verticallimit
05-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Nice setup.

To use a projector it requires a dark room for best picture quality. If you want a few extra screens, you can choose to run WideView over several computers in network, or one powerful computer with multiple graphics cards. I use WideView and eight computers, and the biggest problem is that the clouds are not synchronized, since each computer generate its own weather. In return the eight computers divide the 180-degree view, and it does not require so much CPU power, as if it is just one computer that must generate the entire 180-degree vision

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/6485/69123544.jpg

My computers are scrap single core computers i got for free, and it runs only on onbord graphics cards, of course there is no super graphics on the screens, I have a little stutter, but this comes from my master computer and not from the eight slaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuyE5TBr-Ig

It gives a lot more flight experience with multiple monitors.
My dream setup would be with 3 projectors, this setup is not "wife friendly".
I have chosen an other solutions with other benefits, such as a mobile simulator.

Bernie
05-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi Claus,

Sorry to interupt here but I am curious as to why your setup does not give you synchronized clouds. My setup using Wideview with fsx allows for synchronized clouds.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Nick1150
05-25-2011, 12:08 AM
Latest projectors models have nothing to do with the projectors we know from the past. Have a look at Ultimate Short Throw Projectors , You can have as much as 80 inch of external view from 30 cms throw distance !!! As far as room lighting and quality, please feel free to watch the following video. These are things that people shouldn't worry with new projectors models.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-hWlLhAH0

verticallimit
05-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi Claus,

Sorry to interupt here but I am curious as to why your setup does not give you synchronized clouds. My setup using Wideview with fsx allows for synchronized clouds.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Hi Bernie

I run FS9.
I can have clouds on one screen an not on the others.
Each computer on my network are running their own FS9 and generate its own clouds.
I have no knowledge of a setup where the clouds are controlled equally.
You can synchronize the weather, so it's the same kind of weather on all computers.

Bernie
05-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Hi Bernie

I run FS9.
I can have clouds on one screen an not on the others.
Each computer on my network are running their own FS9 and generate its own clouds.
I have no knowledge of a setup where the clouds are controlled equally.
You can synchronize the weather, so it's the same kind of weather on all computers.

Hi Claus,

Yes, in FSX the weather is fully synchronized over all computers. You set the weather on the Server either by weather theme within the Wideview weather Module, or via real weather downloaded from the net to the Server which is then distributed throughout each client giving perfect cloud allignment through the total view. On page 35 of the Wideview manual for your 2004 setup, it talks about weather synchronizing for FS2004. I think you will find that the FSX version of Wideview is much better for weather. If you have the manual (PDF) then it starts on page 35 for FS2004. The FSX manual is totally different. You could download it anyway and have a read about FSX weather synchronization.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

verticallimit
05-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Hi Bernie
I have the manual, and I've also read part of it, but have not yet come to setup the weather sync., only quickly looked through this part.

Roland
05-28-2011, 06:35 AM
You could consider something line this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrhGiVl1RNs

it uses 3 relatively small 17" LCD's with 3 fresnel lenses. The total width of the setup is only 120cm, depth is 40 cm. Due to fresnel lenses, the view experience resembles a much larger monitor setup.