PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Sources for Cessna 172 Fuselage?

Tom_G_2010
05-02-2011, 06:53 PM
I have just started work on a GA pit using a Cessna 172 fuselage that I picked up on eBay. It's in fair shape overall but there are some pieces that are beyond repair. Among the parts I need to replace is the front windshield. I've been out on eBay and a few other sites looking for sources and the cost of a new windshield is fairly steep.

Has any one found a suitable alternative or run into a source for windshields that might have minor blemishes causing them to be sold at a reduced rate?

Doug Norman
05-02-2011, 08:27 PM
There is a GA junkyard just north of St. Louis in Staunton, IL that might have what you need.

Cessna172sim
05-12-2011, 03:32 AM
You can also try your luck from your local airfield GA maintenance person/company. We had luck to be in the right place in the right time when they changed a new windshield to a flying C172. The old one ended up in the trash can and I immediately asked if I could have it to our project instead.
Of course there's some prop sandwash marks and scrapes but from my opinion it just makes it more authentic. At least the real Cessna's I've been flying all had quite old windshields.