PDA

View Full Version : How many cans of spray paint will cover an MIP.

No Longer Active
04-23-2011, 06:09 AM
I need to paint an 737 MIP for a member whom I have just cnc cut for someone, and is looking at buying some BELTON spray paint in RAL7011 to match the hardware.

Is a single 400ml can enough for lets say 2 or 3 coats. The average MIP is about 1.5 meters by half a meter. My guess says one can is enough. But can I be sure. Any thoughts on this.

Kind regards.

Alex

Bug738
04-24-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi Alex,
in my opinion this mainly depends on two aspects, the material and the initial colour. Some materials are soaking so much paint that you need more. A very light base colour also needs more paint. And I would highly recommend to use some base coat first. Anyway, I don't think that one can is enough for 2 to 3 coats, to be sure I would buy at least 2 cans. Only my two cents (or pennys).
Best regards,
Michael

No Longer Active
04-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Hi Michael.

Thanks for your advice. I think that I will seal the mdf that I am using, using actual paint (and probably a dark colour) first. Then will sand of the blemishes and then apply a first coat of RAL7011. Then will apply a second coat and evaluate the need for a third coat after.

Thanks.

Alex