PDA

View Full Version : cutting handles with 3 axis CNC?

pvjen1
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi
I'm looking at getting the fireball v90.

And I really want to try and see if its possible to make a throttle handle? not the whole lever just the concave handle.

is this at all possible with the right software?

Cheers

Westozy
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi pvjen1,
VCarvePro would easily allow this type of cylindrical machining with a 4 axis machine but it is a lot easier to make them in a lathe. I can turn a B737 throttle handle in about 10 minutes and the finish is far superior to what the CNC router would produce! Engraving the text on the curved surface is a difficult proposition, I haven't tackled this one yet!

Cheers,
Gwyn (Westozy)
Aerosim Solutions

pvjen1
04-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Hi Qwyn,

I have heard that lathe machines are a good practice to conquer the 737 throttle handles, any idea what it would cost to get a low cost one with the right setup to make one? And are these computer driven software operations or manual operation?

The other thing I might ask while I'm at it :D is can a 3 axis Fireball v90 setup create bezel frames like we see in the mips or is a 4 axis the really only way to go?

Cheers

Hi pvjen1,
VCarvePro would easily allow this type of cylindrical machining with a 4 axis machine but it is a lot easier to make them in a lathe. I can turn a B737 throttle handle in about 10 minutes and the finish is far superior to what the CNC router would produce! Engraving the text on the curved surface is a difficult proposition, I haven't tackled this one yet!

Cheers,
Gwyn (Westozy)
Aerosim Solutions

Westozy
04-22-2011, 04:55 AM
Hi again,
You can buy a pretty decent hobby lathe capable of machining handles for around $500, that was what my first lathe cost, look for a second hand one, many people buy them and the novelty wears off so they are rarely worn out! They are manual and quite easy to operate.
It is easy to make MIP bezels with the chamfers on a three axis machine, I have made plenty of them. There is basically an inside cut around the square, then a 90 degree V cutter goes around 3 sides of the square to make the chamfer and a final cut to cut it out. (B737 type).

Cheers Gwyn

pvjen1
04-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Hi Gwyn
thanks again for all the advice I'll see what i can do when the piggy bank has enough for these machines

hope you had a good easter

cheers

Hi again,
You can buy a pretty decent hobby lathe capable of machining handles for around $500, that was what my first lathe cost, look for a second hand one, many people buy them and the novelty wears off so they are rarely worn out! They are manual and quite easy to operate.
It is easy to make MIP bezels with the chamfers on a three axis machine, I have made plenty of them. There is basically an inside cut around the square, then a 90 degree V cutter goes around 3 sides of the square to make the chamfer and a final cut to cut it out. (B737 type).

Cheers Gwyn

Westozy
04-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Where in Oz are you? I'm in Perth...

Gwyn

pvjen1
04-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Where in Oz are you? I'm in Perth...

Gwyn

Melbourne. Was at the air show this year as well, jaw dropped to see all the classics flying. Especially the DC-3s.

mondo50m
05-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Thought I would add my 2 cents worth. I cut a piece of dowel of the size needed and run a drill through the middle of it and insert a bolt through the hole and secure it, so I can mount it in my drill press. I then take a cylinder of the size needed to make the cancave section, and glue a piece of sandpaper to the cylinder. Turn on the drill press and hold the sandpaper covered cylinder up to it and it makes a perfect concave on the dowel. A lot cheaper than getting a lathe. I then use decal paper on the finished handle to label it.

Milt