PDA

View Full Version : Making own Panels without CNC

mrmaster
04-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I've been busy a while trying to make own panels without investing in a CNC Router. Well this is my result up to now:

http://x737cockpit.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/img_0634.jpg?w=490&h=653

I hope this helps some out there that don't have the money to buy their panels or a CNC. I know that it is not the most elegant solution but it works fine for me.

cheers, Marc

BlackWidow
04-12-2011, 05:53 PM
Very innovative keep up the good work

mrmaster
04-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Ok here we go - detailed explanation: http://x737cockpit.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/making-own-panelsc2aemarc-gyc3b6ngyc3b6si.pdf

Be aware that you can't copy from the document - you would have to enter a password. But you can save it.

AK Mongo
04-13-2011, 02:34 PM
I am a bit confused about steps 9 and 10. Are you creating 2 laminations, (1printed, one plain), gluing them together, then gluing to the outside of the plexiglas?

mrmaster
04-13-2011, 02:40 PM
ok - it is hard to describe:
schematic diagram:

####################
lamination
printed side of paper
unprinted side of paper
^^^^
||||||
||||||
glue
white sheet inside
white sheet outside
lamination
^^^^
||||||
||||||
glue
plexi Plexi
################

i misunderstood your question sry - thats why I edited

i hope you understand it - don't hesitate to ask further questions

khallenb
04-13-2011, 05:58 PM
What is the purpose of the blank white sheet in the middle? Is it just to help diffuse the light?

mrmaster
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
i have tried it without but then the grey area doesn't block the light enough and it looks like as if everything would be backlighted - it simply blocks/reduces the light :)

Joe Lavery
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Another method to make sure you get no bleed through of light, is to print two copies of the panel and place one on top of the other instead of the plain paper. You have to make sure the two copies are exactly on top of each other as well, or the parts you want backlit will look fuzzy.

Just another way to do it.

Joe.

mrmaster
04-15-2011, 12:15 PM
that is true - but it is much more work! and it can end up with quite a mess... I prefer my method but you can absolutely use your method - It just doesn't work with the white panels as you need light where it is "not" white .

Marc

tiburon
05-03-2011, 08:00 AM
I still don't understand : you laminate a design and a plain sheet of paper together, then glue another sheet of paper to the "white" side ?
In the diagram there's glue between the design and the white sheet however.
You then glue this on top af a perpsex sheet?
Doesn't the lamination make it look very shiny ?

Martin

Bernie
05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Hi Marc,

I understand your process and think it quite a good idea. have you experimented with the plexiglass as the top finish or is that not a good look. I think you have just the answer for my lower budget cockpit. Thanks for the great idea.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

mrmaster
05-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Hey, glad I could help you ;D

well you CAN do it - but it has the disadvantage, that you really need to place the lights for the backlight where the writing is and in real (i've been to a professional 737 simulator and in a real cockpit) the panels look a bit different. Probably I will invest into a CNC because there is nothing that comes close to those panels...

i think my version is good for, as you said, low budget. You can finish your simulator with them and then buy some panels over time or invest in a CNC what is a good idea (i think). But the most important - you can work on the electronics and the interfacing etc and simply switch to the better panels at some point.... Have fun! :)

Marc

Doon1
05-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Nice work. I don't have a laminator so my approach was a little more low tech. I printed the artwork on sticker paper. then I sealed it with a vinyl spray-on sealer (Preserve-it). Cut it out and stuck it to lexan. The spray-on sealer looks and feels like matte, slightly textured plastic that doesn't scratch or even bleed when coffee is spilled on it (oops).
John

Bernie
05-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I wonder how it would look printing it on to glossy paper? Perhaps I will give it a try. I would think the printing would be sharper and hopefully the light will still pass through.

Kind Regards

Bernie.

Doon1
05-07-2011, 05:28 PM
Hiya Bernie,
I found three types of sticker paper to use for different effect. There is clear for stuff you want to see the background through. There's regular sticker paper that will allow for the white parts of your design to "glow" when back-lit. There is block out sticker paper that will not allow any back-lit light through. I found them all at Staples. I guess you could mount it between two pieces of lexan. I think that mrmasters laminating method would be better for this type of finish.
I first tested on regular clear vinyl sheet but found the regular sheet to be too easily scratched.
John

verticallimit
05-07-2011, 06:05 PM
I do this for a cheep panel:

http://youtu.be/AytHoSLtNX8

http://youtu.be/mDMlim_Om0M

I get a sign company to make my self-adhesive foils. There are many different kinds of foils, and some can be used to backlight.
You can make a good deal if the signs company can wait to print your panels out with other tasks with the same type of foil.

I use the FS aeroplane panel texture for my panels.

Bernie
05-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Hi John,
Thanks for the Ideas, I think I may have used the wrong description for the paper I was thinking about. I was thinking about using the Glossy Photo paper. I would then see how this also looks laminated and placed behing the plexiglass. I feel this paper may give a slightly crispier look to the text and pictures. I may be wrong but I will give a few different types a try.

Kind Regards

Bernie.