PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please!

snubber_21
03-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,I was wondering if somebody can help me.I just got an old gas&brake pedal from my brother's steering wheel game controller.It has 2 pots for left & right pedals,my problem is I want to use common 2.0 usb cable to make the wiring.I tried installing and connected it to my pc but there is a message"usb device has malfunctioned and is not recognized by windows".Its really hard to fly without the rudder especially during taxiing and making coordinated turns so I hope anybody can help me with these.I cannot buy a good one right now because of financial issues.

P.S. - the wires are colored red,green,white and black.thanks in advance

Westozy
03-23-2011, 01:28 AM
Hi Snubber, I'm afraid I can't help here with electronics as this is a mechanical forum - sorry!

Gwyn (Westozy)

Kennair
03-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Hi Snubber,

Maybe I can help but first some questions. Do the pedals have their own USB controller included with them or do they rely on connecting to the steering wheel and use its USB interface? I'm not sure I understand you correctly but you can't just connect the wires from a USB cable to the pots, you have to have a USB Axis card. You then connect the 3 wires from each pot to individual inputs on the USB card then connect the USB card to the PC via a USB cable. Windows will see the axis card as a game controller and the pots will tell Windows at what position they are at depending on their resistance value.

If you're doing something more creative and just asking what the colored wires on the USB cable are for then here's your answer: The Red and Black are the positive and negative of the +5v signal from the USB port and the White and Green are the two signal wires for the serial data. Not exactly sure which way around these go but the Red and Black go on the outside 2 connector pins and the White and Green go on the inside 2.

Ken.