PDA

View Full Version : 737NG Flight Illusion Standby Gauges and Fly Engravity Desktop Line

CO735
03-09-2011, 01:12 AM
My apologies if I am the quintessential n00b and am posted this in a) the wrong place and/or b) reposting a question that has been asked previously. I did a search and came up empty.

I have jumped in at the deep end so to speak of this cockpit building gig...As the thread title implies, I have the Fly Engravity desktop panels (Cpt, Ctr, FO) and have just received my Flight Illusion Standby gauges today (Airspeed Indicator, Altimeter, Yaw, Brake Pressure etc).

Unless I am missing something painfully obvious, I do not see a way to simply screw the gauges into the holes already in place on the F/E MIP. How have some of you mounted your gauges? It seems to me that the holes/screws provided by engravity would be at the extreme corners of the FI gauges. Am I to drill holes into the gauges to be able to screw them down? I'd prefer not to go down this route given that these gauges cost a pretty penny!

Thanks in advance for your assitance!

Matt

my737sim
03-09-2011, 02:45 AM
Dunno about the FE panels but my open cockpit gauges didn't line up with my FDS mip either. I had to dive back into old early 2000 sim builder mode and DIM. (do it myself)

Might have to do the same for your stuff.

One alternative to screws is automotive tape. Double sided super adhesive stuff. A few things of mine are held in place with that stuff and one, maybe two screws.

I think you can search for that term on my blog, should show you a photo of it.

Matt

CO735
03-09-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks Matt!

I was thinking that double-sided automotive tape might work. I'll go to a few local shops and see if I can find it.

Your blog looks quite impressive, please don't mind if I browse for ideas!

dnoize
03-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Flight Illusions gauges are pretty generic.

They make them not only for FLYengravity, but also to fit with others like FDS, CS, etc.

Unfortunately all of them have different placement of the screwholes. Result of this is that it is impossible for FlightIllusion to have mounting holes for all the vendors.
You can use automotive double sided tape (that stuff is also used to stick badges to cars), however this will take a mm or so from your bezel.

What i did with mine is drill new holes in the plastic of the gauge.
Its what we do here at FE all the time.

Stef