PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Switch As A Pot

ian@737ng.co.uk
03-07-2011, 04:34 AM
g'day chaps......
Recently, i have had four people looking to action a software switch from a rotary using bi-directional control that i had to look at this further because mating the position of the switch and the index marks on the panel also came into the equation. i have a young friend who is building a C172 cockpit as part of his degree course and he had a problem with the magneto switch which he needs 5 positions for. this made me do something. It doesn't have to be your Mag Switch, it can be any Bi-Directional software rotary switch that you want to control i.e. Autobrake, Starter Switches, Wiper or IRS Switches
years ago, i was taught how to ladder resistors, so i just applied this technique to a rotary switch.
now FS or FSUIPC will see the rotary as a pot. then, pete dowson has given us the ability to send an action from a pot when it enters a range. so that meant it became possible to use the values from each position of the switch to action something (in 3 cases i have been involved in, we are sending a macro).
works really well and hopefully may just help somebody else
here's a link to the 'How To' doc http://www.737ng.co.uk/rotaryaspot.pdf
have a great day and take care

ian

Nick1150
03-07-2011, 12:55 PM
Wow that is a great one Ian,

Thanks for sharing

:D

Leo Bodnar
03-07-2011, 02:08 PM
By the way I have been supplying them pre-built for years. It's somewhere on this page:http://www.leobodnar.com/products/SLI-PRO/

Ian, I have sent you a sample and FSUIPC use hint a few years back but you probably didn't pay attention at the time :)

Cheers
Leo

ian@737ng.co.uk
03-08-2011, 01:44 AM
hello mr.B......
i know, i know, well i have to admit something here :o
it was your sample i used on the C172 project when i realised what i wanted to achieve and how i was going to do it :o))
however, i have so many people here with issues looking for a way to solve them (two more that wanted to do the same sort of thing), i reckoned that if i knew three people who wanted to do this sort of thing, how many didn't i know. so i thought better write it down because i had to make the other two switches :o
don't hide this switch away Leo, put it on the BU0836 family pages as well.
good man, take care

ian