PDA

View Full Version : My General Aviation Saitek Panel

rcolle
02-22-2011, 11:56 AM
This is my relatively low cost setup. Its a 1" square stock framed 1/4" MDF Box with a foam board panel housing saitek proflight equipment and a 19" monitor.

JWS
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Well done.
Nice, clean and simple and imho very apt for GA. You can even expand quite easily I think by using the 19" for flight instruments only and putting up a larger screen (or beamer) for external view behind the box.

JWS

rcolle
02-22-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks, I have a 46" plasma monitor that I had behind it for visuals, but the resolution wasn't too good sitting that close to it, I could see pixels.
Future plans...I may get a projector and make the panel a little shorter...and use PM with a panel with instrument cut outs.

GeorgeT93
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
I think it looks great! Very clean, neat and functional! Great work!! :)

JWS
02-23-2011, 03:06 PM
...and use PM with a panel with instrument cut outs.

Yes, that was an option I was thinking about or you could use a program like panelstudio (or something like that) to make your own.

JWS

Nick1150
02-24-2011, 03:36 AM
That's a very nice setup !!!!!

Very clean and easy going ;)

What I would do if it were mine ? I would keep the 19" only for the gauges by putting at the same time a panel infront of it with the gauges cut outs.

For the external visuals, given that your video card has 2 outputs I would go definately to one TH2GO to add three 20" monitors on top in a "curved" kind of way giving almost 130 degrees to the external visuals.

Great setup :)

Ronson2k9
02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Really cool looking and looks to be quite portable too. I love your design.

Cheers
Ron

rcolle
03-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks Guys, out side of the visual system upgrade at some point, i have a few small things...Im going to fill that hole with another saitek radio, and need to add some sticky "feet" to the bottom of the box. It slides a little bit on the glass. I wish i would have built it with a curve on top for a glare shield.

rcolle
03-19-2011, 04:06 AM
added an iPad running Forflight, not coupled, but good for maps and what a nice way to get familiar with it before taking it up for real.

rcolle
03-29-2011, 03:24 PM
added the other radio
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gHtMa_nISdZlXRwzXqTnuA?feat=directlink

mocha22
03-30-2011, 08:10 AM
rcolle...I love you panel and think I will build something similar after researching a tone of different styles by other builders. I was worried I wouldn't like a cockpit without working gauges but by looking at your panel having the instruments on the monitor looks great and is a real money saver and gives you that feeling of immersion in your cockpit.
I think I will go with 2 monitors...one for instruments and one for the outside view. I experimented with 2 monitors this past weekend but I have 2 questions for you (or the group)
1. So i have one monitor with instruments and one with outside view. When I shut down the simulator and say start it up the next day will the views still be the same or will I have to go and undock the windows again and drag each one to it's monitor? (I suspect if you save the flight FS9 will load everything back up the way it was but I can't test this theory for a little while so was hoping for an answer before then)

2. You have a module with a single engine start (Saitek?) but is there a module out there that can accomodate 2 engines like in a Baron?

Great job and happy flying!!!

rcolle
09-11-2011, 02:22 AM
Just an update: Used FS Panel Studio to rework the panel to use the whole screen. Moved external visuals to a (temporary) 15" monitor above and behind the panel. My phone is the only camera I have tonight, so better pic to follow. Just had to share...ive wanted it like this for so long and i literally just got it working.

jrowland
09-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Very nice! Nearly identical to what I'm trying to set up on my "portable stand". Ive thought about getting a second saitek radio, but I assumed they might conflict with each other. By seeing yours in action, I assume that 2 saitek radio panels work just fine?

rcolle
09-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Very nice! Nearly identical to what I'm trying to set up on my "portable stand". Ive thought about getting a second saitek radio, but I assumed they might conflict with each other. By seeing yours in action, I assume that 2 saitek radio panels work just fine?

Yes, they work just fine together. i actually only run the top "line" as a radio. the second "line" is nav1, 3rd nav2, and 4th dme...so i never really have to switch them around.

jrowland
09-12-2011, 03:21 PM
One of the things I've been "designing in my head" is the stack of Saitek components. By "default", their built-in stacking method (each screwing onto the top of another) puts the faces of the units at a somewhat "angled back" position. There are also some screw holes in the side, as well as a very narrow bezel around the face of the component.

Can you describe a little bit about how you mounted those devices in a stack like that? Are you screwing them in from their side-mount pre-tapped screw holes? Do you happen to have a picture (or, better yet, design plans/deminsions) of your MDF box without any gear in it that you would mind sharing?

What about the USB cable management? I've been contemplating buying a large multi-port USB hub to mount onto the bottom of my overall panel, and then run a single usb connector to the PC.

A "portable panel" like this is exactly what I have (and am re-designing - I love your concept for my redesign) because I must share the computer with my wife, and since she works from home, I don't get to keep any of my sim gear in the office. :^)

rcolle
09-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I literally built the box around the saitek panel stack. I mounted the panels on 1" square stock and then recessed that so the panels would be almost flush w the front of the main panel. Im about to have the box rebuilt by a professional woodworker with a 15" widescreen lcd rather than the 19 to lower the overall height and move the switch panel under the yoke and make the whole thing look a little more realistic. also, i want to have some recessed carry handles built into the sides that also function as a place for the sound to excape as the speakers and sub are all mounted inside. Speaking of that i want a volume knob too. During the rebuild i will get some pics and dimentions/drawings.
Regarding the cable mgt, I have all the cableing coming out of the back panel from a small hole (extra lengths hidden inside the box) into a 5 port usb pci board. not sure id run all the saiteks of a hub...i have, and it worked ok, i just figured id be doing good running them into the pci bus and avoiding any bottlenecks.

rcolle
09-15-2011, 03:12 AM
here is a picture of the backside with the panel removed. PC and speakers mounted inside so the only wires coming out are the power wires for the monitor, pc, speakers, one usb extension for the rudder pedals, and the external monitor vga cable. keyboard/mouse are wireless. I thought about mounting a small surge protector inside as well to allow for only one main power wire coming out, but thought that may increase the fire risk??

bgoodwin
01-09-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm considering a similar approach and hope it turns out as nice as yours. However I am getting mixed messages regarding the various Saitek instrument dimensions. Considering purchasing them from Amazon but find their sizing different from the Saitek site. I want to install them directly into a MIP and not use their system. Can anyone provide the 'real' insert dimensions for these instruments.

bg

rcolle
04-17-2012, 03:03 AM
Update:
created new panel using fspanel studio and made a whole new panel overlay from foam board. I made the section covering the monitor easily removable for easy fsx setting config and so I can just swap overlays for different aircraft/panel configurations.

Pilotpetejetfly
12-21-2012, 01:54 AM
Yes, they work just fine together. i actually only run the top "line" as a radio. the second "line" is nav1, 3rd nav2, and 4th dme...so i never really have to switch them around.

Hi I just purchased my second saitek radio plugged it in and for some reason it won't work while both are plugged in as soon as I unplug the one the other one works fine ????
Did you install any type of driver or do anything different to get them to work together ??
Any info would help thanks

mocha22
12-21-2012, 09:03 AM
You can try to use an external powered USB hub...If you plug too much into your PC then there may not be enough power to drive all your components. I had the same problem but the powered USB hub fixed it. Also, install the SPAD driver