PDA

View Full Version : XPONDR, ADF, Leo's card, and FSUIPC.

Doon1
02-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Hi Guys,
I've cut out my dash and am now doing the radio faceplate. I have 4 encoders (each) for both the XPNDR and ADF . The plan is to have each encoder tune a single digit of the display. I didn't even think about whether or not this was possible. I'm glad I didn't print out the radio sticker or start cutting on the faceplate yet. If I can't use 1 encoder for each digit then what is my next best option?
Thanks,
John

Doon1
02-21-2011, 03:18 PM
One other question. Can the 8 analog inputs be used for switches/encoders? My GA pit has 27 encoders and 34 switches with no analog anything. I have a Saitek yoke, throttle, pedals set-up that takes care of everything analog. It's the difference between having to get 4 or 6 of Leo's boards.
Thanks,
John

AK Mongo
02-21-2011, 04:06 PM
Most radio setups have two encoders (usually a dual concentric). One controls the numbers to the left of the decimal, one the numbers on the left.

Must be a heck of a pit to have that many encoders needed. Are you sure you need that many? If you tell us what you are trying to do with all of the encoders, we may be able to recommend something that would be better suited to a potentiometer and make use of your analog slots. As far as I know you cant use them for encoders or digital inputs.

Doon1
02-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Heya Mongo,
I'm using two of the dual encoders with push button on the "GNS 530" (4). I'm using two single encoders for the com2 and nav2 (4). 1 encoder each for the airspeed, altitude, vor1, vor2, adf, and horizon (7). 2 for the hsi (2). 2 for the ap (2). 4 each (maybe) for the adf and xpndr (8 ). 1 for the panel dimmer (1). Oops, that's 28 not 27. I forgot about the dimmer the first time around. Damn you making me do math... There's lotsa switches too. Here's the CAD of just the radio stack. the largest dual concentric circles are the dual encoders. The ones with the much smaller circle in another circle are buttons. the ones with nearly the same size circles are the encoders. I have the radio stack sticker all drawn up but am unsure about the inputs for the adf and xpndr as I said. It's a lot of black ink on a clear legal size sticker so I only want to do it once.
John

Doon1
02-21-2011, 10:59 PM
Well I'm at my flight computer and checked the FSUIPC assignment list and I can use the 4 per as I thought.
Still would like to know about the analog inputs being used for button or switch inputs.
John

AK Mongo
02-22-2011, 02:41 AM
That is an impressive stack! I might consider knocking the adf and transponder down to 1 each. They work just fine that way on my goflight units.

Also, how are you planning on making the dimmer work, and why through the bodnar card? What would it dim? How are you lighting your stack/panel?

Are all of your gauge encoders functional in your sim? i.e. I don't think the attitude indicator is adjustable in the sim. Would love to be proven wrong about that, just have not found it yet.

Reid

Doon1
02-22-2011, 10:17 PM
I may loose some of the encoders. The MDF is cut for the displays but I haven't cut out the plexiglass that the radio stack is made of so it's still an option.

The dimmer is for the Reality-XP T and N gauges. I'm tying the engine and systems gauges into the same command. I'm using an encoder cause it will fit in the space and it's bi-directional.

The stack took a little (a lot) of thought. The text is backlit and I think I've figured a way to backlight the buttons. I'll know in the next couple of days.

The XP attitude gauge plane is adjustable.

John

Doon1
02-28-2011, 12:47 AM
moved to another thread