PDA

View Full Version : Floating Z axis for engraving

npbosch
02-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Hi guys,

I would like to inform you about the floating z axis I made. When you start engraving you will notice that your routerbit will remove more (or less) paint on different parts of the panels. Reasons could be: paintlayer not of the same thickness, bottom on which the panel is lying not completely flat. Then you will have to engrave every word on the panel in a seperate run. That's very time consuming. For this problem I made a floating z axis. I have 4 pics and an explanation on how it works on my website.

Westozy
02-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Good work Norbert!! Thanks for sharing...

Gwyn

npbosch
02-09-2011, 02:53 PM
This is the direct link to the right page on my website

Just scroll down on:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/norbert.bosch/panel.html

riche543
02-09-2011, 04:48 PM
Thanks for sharing Norbert , good to see more of these I need to make one for myself , would make it much easier .

spitfire9
02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
I would buy one of those ! I wish I had the knowledge to build one myself .
Seems like a very good fix for the same problem I have been having myself.

RobiD
02-10-2011, 06:03 AM
Nice work Norbert.

David

steveeverson
02-10-2011, 06:07 AM
I have one of these on its way from the same company I got my cnc from

Check out this item I found on eBay:

Diamond Drag Engraving Tool Spring Loaded Superior

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Diamond-Drag-Engraving-Tool-Spring-Loaded-Superior_W0QQitemZ270703824997QQcategoryZ64819QQvarZQQcmdZViewItem

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)
cheers
Steve

npbosch
02-10-2011, 10:43 AM
That small diamond tool is a very clever solution. A big advantage above my solution is that you do not need to change the normal z axis for the floating one. Although that takes less than 5 minutes work, you will need frequent changes.

Rob65
02-10-2011, 03:03 PM
I have one of these on its way from the same company I got my cnc from

That's a nice one but different from Norbert's goal.
Norbert is using a (traditional) mill bit to mill text on his (plexiglass) front panels. The nose (green thing at the bottom) makes sure that the cut is of the same depth throughout the panel - even if that panel is not completely flat.

The diamond engraving tool Steve bought is a diamond tip engraving tool, not a mill bit.
This tool is used with the spindle not rotating. The pressure alone makes sure that the text is engraved in the material.

I don't think this diamond engraver van be used on the painted plexi panels. For one the paint is to tough giving unpredictable results and also it might scratch or even break the plexi.
But once you get to engrave frontpanels for your (electronics) projects you will love this tool. Never before have you seen such nice results in aluminum elox panels.

I have seen similar tools being used in aluminum stock material where they engrave text and logos at maximum speed of the machine.

Cheers

Rob

-- Bedroom boeing? In my dreams ;)

npbosch
02-10-2011, 03:13 PM
Hi Rob

Thanks for the info on the diamond thing. I understand the difference now. They are indeed for different things. The diamond thing (without a turning ) spindle is definetely not suited for plexipanels.

twisted8
02-11-2011, 01:05 PM
good info.

How about this? would this work in a similar way with a CNC machine?
Looks like the diamond tip tool but it can spin.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CNC-Drag-engraving-tool-router-Spring-loaded-/320647471935?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item4aa814233f

npbosch
02-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Thats the same kind of thing as the other ebay link. It is not turning. It is only for engraving with a very hard material in other materials. It does adjust the height a bit because it has a spring. But is not usable for panelmakers. For removing of paint from plexi you will need a turning tool.

maliga00
03-31-2012, 11:45 PM
Hi Norbert, amazing job!. Could you tell me aprox. size of the blocks, shafts diameter, etc. I will construct one z floating and yours is a great guide to me.!
Thanks
Alberto

npbosch
04-17-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi Alberto,

Thats difficult. The biggest part of my floating z axis was some junk I found in a machinepart junk store. I just adjusted it a bit. You have to start with the mounting of your router mill and the z axis you have on your CNC portal.
Then make a sliding mechanism, thats the most difficult part because they have to align very well.
Did you see the 4 pics on my website? (look on tghe panel page) Then wou will have a good idea on how it works.