PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Bridge production halted

Matt Olieman
02-01-2011, 08:21 AM
I stole the following from another site, not related to Flight Sim Building. ;) I thought some of you would be interested.

Matt Olieman

by rhedgebeth on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:41 pm

Intel today announced design problems found with the Sandy Bridge chipset and has halted production. It's estimated that the problem will cost Intel $700M to rectify the design flaw and resume production.
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20110131006293/en/Intel-Identifies-Chipset-Design-Error-Implementing-Solution

Correction: The news bit I initially read in the Washington Post said that the problem is with the Sandy Bridge processor. This isn't the case. The problem lies with the new supporting chipset. Apparently from the Intel press release production has already begun on the corrected chipset.

JWS
02-01-2011, 03:06 PM
When you are building a sandy bridge, what do you expect?;)

JWS

Sean Nixon
02-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Will this mean that once the problem is sorted, performance will be even better?!?

BeaconOne
02-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Will this mean that once the problem is sorted, performance will be even better?!?

Depends how you define performance. The problem has to do with the chipset's Serial-ATA -interfacing and affects (slows down?) the functionality of hard disks and DVD-drives. My guess is that from a user point of view it has to do more with reliability.

The problem is already fixed but Intel had to halt the production of chipsets for a while.

Regards,
Henri

kiek
02-02-2011, 04:55 AM
When you are building a sandy bridge, what do you expect?;)

JWS
LOL (we Dutch know a lot about sand, clay, water and building bridges, maybe Intel should ask some advice ;-) )
Nico