PDA

View Full Version : Panel cut to size

PlaneSim
01-15-2011, 12:58 PM
I am looking to have a panel cut to size with some holes punched in it, to house my instruments - Any recommendations please? - I am based in London?

dion73
01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Hi,

Hispapanels will probably do it. It says so at their site. Otherwise Lausitz aviation. Or your local dye maker if you happen to know one... there is Marbus industries in Lisse holland, they lasercut acrylate, steel or plywood but it may be expensive.

good luck,

dion

PlaneSim
01-15-2011, 01:50 PM
..thanks for the info Dion. The instruments came from The Netherlands, so I suppose, its only right that I get the panel done there too!

Geremy Britton
01-15-2011, 06:43 PM
It may be possible i could sort it for you, if you let me know what you want.

Cheers

PlaneSim
01-16-2011, 07:18 AM
...I have 18 instruments that I want to fit into a dash...

attached is my best attempt at a drawing!

Thanks

Ray

No Longer Active
01-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Hi.

Have sent you a PM.

Cheers.

Alex

PlaneSim
01-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Hi.

Have sent you a PM.

Cheers.

Alex

I will do!

Many Thanks for the info...

Tripacer
01-16-2011, 10:57 PM
I drew my instrument panel using TurboCAD and sent the drawing to a local avionics shop at the airport who has a cnc machine. They cut the panel in about 20 minutes and charged me about one hour labor.

Because I could supply a .DXF file they had very little computer work to do.

Hope this helps.

Tripacer

PlaneSim
01-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I drew my instrument panel using TurboCAD and sent the drawing to a local avionics shop at the airport who has a cnc machine. They cut the panel in about 20 minutes and charged me about one hour labor.

Because I could supply a .DXF file they had very little computer work to do.

Hope this helps.

Tripacer

Brilliant Idea! - Thanks for this..

No Longer Active
01-17-2011, 07:54 AM
I use a program called Visio for all my CAD work, my local cnc firm does the cutting cheaper because the CAD work is already done.

PlaneSim
01-17-2011, 08:19 AM
I use a program called Visio for all my CAD work, my local cnc firm does the cutting cheaper because the CAD work is already done.

...looks like I need to invest in some software!

No Longer Active
01-17-2011, 09:25 AM
If you know someone with ms office, then MS Visio is bundled with that. Its an engineering program that probably most people have. I just find it easy to draw, edit dimensions and then convert my drawings to autocad. Plus I can print a copy or save a copy as a PDF which you can use to cut out paper templates and cut out panels by hand if you don't have a cnc machine. I also purchased an old version of AutoDesk from ebay for about £20 which is great when I need to fine tune adjustments to drawings consindering a cnc machine can cuy to something like a +/1 0.1mm tolerance which is pretty god damn accurate.

autocadplease
01-18-2011, 12:17 AM
...looks like I need to invest in some software!

Just draw it using Google SketchUp which is free. The free version doesn't allow saving/exporting as DXF but you can email it to me and I can do it for you. Only takes a few seconds.

PlaneSim
01-18-2011, 12:56 PM
... but you can email it to me and I can do it for you. Only takes a few seconds.

That's very kind of you (Thanks) I have it done now...
(don't laugh) but I actually drew it out in MS Paint!

This morning I went to a local Engineering Company (Never been to one before and what a sight!)
Huge Machines and lots of metal filings all over the floor and a pungent smell of oil!
Along with plenty of noise!

The owner made time for me and very kindly indulged my drawing and measurements!
I should have my "All Steel 3mm Thick Black Powder Coated Panel" within 2 weeks!
Off course, I want it much sooner, but I just nodded and thanked him when he said about 2 weeks!

I'll post a picture as soon as I have it!

No Longer Active
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
That's the way to do, go to the firms in person. That's how I did it and ended up with a good relationship with a cnc guy. I draw it and he cuts it. I actually got my cnc guy to make me a coffee table in high gloss for my lounge and I am also thinking of getting my son a little 'play aeroplane made' from mdf. The boundaries are endless.

PlaneSim
01-24-2011, 04:16 PM
...Following on from this...

It now transpires that the Company "Supposedly" Making/Cutting my Panel have a sister company that was doing it! And to cut a long story short, it has not materialised!

Surely, there must be someone (In Europe) that can "Professionally" cut me a few panels out of say a 2mm thick Alloy and then Powder Coat them in Black. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

I did contact a few companies (as suggested on this forum) but my emails got ignored!

You wouldn't think that something so simple, could prove to be so trying!

Ray

Jylhami
02-03-2011, 02:12 AM
Hello Ray,

There are few builders in Finland who had their panels made by Schaeffer in Germany.
Go to their website and download the free frontpanel designer software.
Use it to design your panel including engraving and send the order. You can even see the finished panel's price in the software :)
What is nice you can also print out your panel in 1:1 scale and testfit it to your instrument panel.

http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/

I also have my cousin working in a laser cutting company, so i can also help if you can't get it elsewhere.

Sean Nixon
02-03-2011, 01:18 PM
There'll be a firm within half an hour of your home that can do it, there are hundreds in the UK. Give them a quick call and ask if you can call in with some drawings and explain what you want. The problem is, most of these firms are geared towards commercial business and they are not going to be making a lot of money out of your project, that's why you're likely to find a lack of interest. But if you try enough, you'll eventually find someone willing to do it. Ask the ones that decline if they can recommend someone else.

I'm about to embark on the same task up here in Newcastle. If I have any success, I'll let you know. Maybe we can get both our stuff made at the same time. The bigger the order, the more success we're likely to have.

Sean

PlaneSim
02-05-2011, 01:15 PM
Hello Ray,

I also have my cousin working in a laser cutting company, so i can also help if you can't get it elsewhere.

Hi Jylhami

Thanks so much....

I have it all done now..

I "Bodged" it all together and it kind of looks OK!

...very best

Ray

PlaneSim
02-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Hi Sean

Your absolutely right! - One firm wanted £350 to do it!

I put it together now (As best I could) See Pic (Work in Progress!)

Cheers

Ray

Steve1970
05-02-2011, 04:55 AM
Hi Ray

I am a little late catching this thread, but next time let me know. I can help you, if it is just a few panels needed.

I tend to use pre-anodised aluminium as the surface finish is much nicer than powder coat, and it can be engraved and paint filled nicely.

Cheers
Steve
www.emuteq.com