PDA

View Full Version : Stepper Board

mondo50m
12-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I am looking for the layout for the stepper board. I have downloaded the one from the FSBUS site several times and keep getting "not a valid layout file". I can not find a valid copy anywhere. Thank you in advance.

Milt

homecockpitbuilder
12-21-2010, 03:25 PM
Hello Milt,

If you download the file at this link (http://www.rvdijk.nl/download/stepper.zip)you get a working one. i've just test this one and its ok.

Regards Bas

mondo50m
12-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the help, but that one is doing the same thing, I unzip the file, go to Sprint Layout and try to open the file and get the same message. But thanks anyway, it was a try.

Milt

Jan737
12-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Thanks for the help, but that one is doing the same thing, I unzip the file, go to Sprint Layout and try to open the file and get the same message. But thanks anyway, it was a try.

Milt

It's a Sprint layout 5.0. file.
Maybe that's the problem.

Best regards
Jan Geurtsen

RobiD
12-22-2010, 07:19 AM
Hey Milt,

Let me know if you want the stepper board version using DIN and not SMD components.
I redesigned the SMD board myself to take all non-SMD components.

David

yoss
12-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Why dont you guys, use a mixed Fsbus and open cockpit setup--those two can live in piece with each other and you will be able to overcome the problematic parts of Fsbus ,instead fighting the beast

Life can be so much easyer

mondo50m
12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Ribid....I would love to get that.
Jan737....I have version 4.0 and the upgrade is not free, its another whole program at anther 70 dollars.
Yoss...That sounds like a good idea, but the shipping to the U.S. is more than the boards themselvs.

Thanks everbody for your efforts,

Jan737
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Ribid....I would love to get that.
Jan737....I have version 4.0 and the upgrade is not free, its another whole program at anther 70 dollars.
Yoss...That sounds like a good idea, but the shipping to the U.S. is more than the boards themselvs.

Thanks everbody for your efforts,

There is a free sprintlayout 5.0 viewer avalable at:
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html

Best regards
Jan Geurtsen

mondo50m
12-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Got the 5.0 viewer...
That did the trick. Thanks!!

RobiD
12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
I'll send it to you this afternoon after work.

David

RobiD
12-23-2010, 07:46 AM
Hey Milt.

The board is tried and tested.

http://www.safeweightloss4kids.com/dontlookhere/StepperDIPedited.LAY

Let me know if you are having trouble with it.

David

Oh, by the way, I'm happy for anyone to use this mod.

mondo50m
12-23-2010, 09:08 AM
David--Thank you very much. Just one question, does this board control just one stepper, or will it do more? And, what are the steppers that you are using? I have some that have come out of old printers and other equipment. I just have to identify the wires, but that is not too bad. I found a place that has small steppers for about $2.50 each, various voltages, (from 3.1 to 48).

Milt.

Jan737
12-23-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi,

Good to hear that the problem with the board is solved!!
I've build a view boards now and want to try it, but I've no experience how to make the code in C++ for it.
Does anybody has a piece of example code?

Best regards

Jan Geurtsen

mondo50m
12-23-2010, 11:34 AM
Jan737---I have not built a stepper unit yet, so I do not know what will be involved. I have built a couple of the servo style gauges. I spent about an hour and a half with Stefan in Germany learning how to do the programming. I only know the basics at this time, but I am learning. I would like to see someone make a VERY detailed tutorial on what we need to know. Maybe someone will. There are steps involved in the programming that must be followed to the letter to get things working correctly. I am not familiar enough to do this myself.

Milt

RobiD
12-23-2010, 04:57 PM
David--Thank you very much. Just one question, does this board control just one stepper, or will it do more? And, what are the steppers that you are using? I have some that have come out of old printers and other equipment. I just have to identify the wires, but that is not too bad. I found a place that has small steppers for about $2.50 each, various voltages, (from 3.1 to 48).

Milt.

Hi Milt.

One board, one stepper motor.

I've used a couple of different ones. The higher the current the motor draws, the hotter the driver chip gets. I am using a couple of bigger motors from photocopying machines and have had to add heat sinks to the driver chip to stop it cooking.

There is not a lot of weight to move with the motors, so the smaller the better. These are an ideal type of motor (size and current) http://www.futurlec.com/PM35S.shtml

Jan737,
The FSBus problem is solved as yet, but will be very soon with the pending release of the new FSBus dll v3. This new release will solve all known problems at this time. It will require some minor changes to existing code but nothing major (so Dirk says).

I must say that when I started with FSBus a long time ago, it was fairly simple to implement. But as our needs for complexity have increased, so has the programming skills required.

I knew nothing about programming C++ but with the help of people like Stefan and many others, I now am quite comfortable programming basic switches, servo gauges, air core gauges etc. In fact I managed to program most of my MCP myself with fine tuning help and some basic code supplied to me.

Hope the info helps.

David

mondo50m
12-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Took a quick look at the site for the steppers that you suggested. The one site I saw the PM35s on, wanted $58.00 each for them. That seems to be a little steep. Need to go with the $2.50 ones I found. Tried to include the url, but it kept cutting in short so try: www.allelectronics.com
They seem like they should work.

Milt

RobiD
12-25-2010, 04:32 AM
Milt,

I would never pay more that about $6 for a motor. If you know of an old printer (larger one) being thrown out. Grab it and get the steppers out of it. They only need to be small low torque ones as they are not moving a big load.

At $2.50 each, sounds like a good buy.

Cheers
David