PDA

View Full Version : Some projector advice for a visuals noob!

Jordan Farmer
11-28-2010, 03:40 PM
Right, i have less thhan basic knowledge about projectors, throw distances etc, so would love your advice if possible. I am using fs2004, and plan on flying a cessna type bird, with one projector throwing on to a flat screen.

my screen size is maximum of 180cm wide, by about 140cm high. the maximum distance i can have between my projedctor and the screen is 280cm. Now, i would like it to be quite good value, if thats possible! and give a fairly good resolution, enough to make my outside view half decent. Also, it cant be too heavy, as the ceiling i would be mounting it too is very old, and pretty weak. unless it can be projected from the floor, then weight is a factor. i havnt built a screen yet, but the dimensions i gave were the maximum i could have, as it is in a little alcove in my sim room/bedroom!

Also, whe it comes to building a screen, what is the best material to cover it with, or is it best to make it with ply and paint it?

thanks for all the help,

Jordan

castle
11-28-2010, 08:28 PM
Right, i have less thhan basic knowledge about projectors, throw distances etc, so would love your advice if possible. I am using fs2004, and plan on flying a cessna type bird, with one projector throwing on to a flat screen.

my screen size is maximum of 180cm wide, by about 140cm high. the maximum distance i can have between my projedctor and the screen is 280cm. Now, i would like it to be quite good value, if thats possible! and give a fairly good resolution, enough to make my outside view half decent. Also, it cant be too heavy, as the ceiling i would be mounting it too is very old, and pretty weak. unless it can be projected from the floor, then weight is a factor. i havnt built a screen yet, but the dimensions i gave were the maximum i could have, as it is in a little alcove in my sim room/bedroom!

Also, whe it comes to building a screen, what is the best material to cover it with, or is it best to make it with ply and paint it?

thanks for all the help,

Jordan

Check out Mike Powell's articles on his great info on all that stuff, and just posted an article link on the collimated thread regards best paint for DIY screens,

JW

Sean Nixon
11-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Hi Jordan

Have you played around with the projector calculator at projectcentral.com? It'll help you decide if a certain projector will work within your dimensions...

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

As for screen material, have a look at this...

http://www.roberthornedirect.co.uk/Foam-PVC-Sheet/

Sean

Nick1150
11-30-2010, 04:53 AM

thanks for all the help,

Jordan
Well I am waiting before Xmas my projector which more or less is what you are talking about, plus it can throw 180 cms wide from 36 cms distance and also can throw in a curved screen too without the need of any software like SOL7, etc.... This feature is internal and called "perfect fit" from Hitachi. Finally because of the extremely short distance, I will put it inside my MIP base (behind the MIP screens) and project from there...

This is the projector, (http://www.hitachidigitalmedia.com/product.do?actionName=showProductAction&pt=6&pg=72&proid=722&language=en&country=GB) I am talking about, but unfortunately I cannot confirm yet any of the above. If you could wait few weeks, I can say more.

Regards,