PDA

View Full Version : Goflight Radio Overlay!

No Longer Active
10-28-2010, 07:45 AM
I have produced a good design for a goflight panel overlay which will stick to the GF166 radios....

To keep within the 1970' - 1980's Cessna Theme (when the 152 was in its good old days and produced by the thousands (over 7500+ of them), I have had to keep the radios looking old, and within the vintage ARC radio theme.....

I have come up with this:

http://alexpilot.50g.com/goflightoverlayidea.jpg

It still looks like the old Cessna ARC radios and keeps in line with the theme, so what do you think.....

Alex

Ronson2k9
10-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Looks Shweet.. Excellent work.

Cheers
Ron

Joe Cygan
10-28-2010, 08:23 AM
I like your "out of the box" thinking.

No Longer Active
10-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Joe,

I am always thinking outside of the box, that's my problem, I cant get back in the box now lol, my ideas wont let me!

Always thinking of a way to produce a part, for less and save money!

Thanks pal,

Alex

Geremy Britton
10-28-2010, 08:47 AM
The black frontplate comes off you know? Then you can reduce the width of the panel by just a little to the width of the circuitboard behind. You probably won't have the black parts down the sides then.

Only problem with that is if your putting them on the mip and not the pedestal theres no fixing points

No Longer Active
10-28-2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Gez,

Well the way I see it is, the actual radio has to sit behind the 160mm cutout so that the radio can be screwed to the MIP in place, that way the last 12.5mm of each side wont be visable leaving just the 160mm panel area shown! I mean I could cut the sides but then Id have nothing to attach the radio to, this way I can just screw the radio into the mip/cutout and have just the perfect 160mm panel showing!

Cheers matey!

Alex

Geremy Britton
10-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Great idea, seems like you have it all covered. Can't wait to see the pics of it finished :)

AK Mongo
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
My two cents worth...
Great Idea!

Maybe change the current labeling of comm and nav to read something like active and stndby? The function of the unit only allows you to change the frequency in the right hand display.

I tend to task mine as com 1 and 2 in one head, and nav 1 and 2 in the other. Not realistic I know, but functionally easier to keep track of.

davek
10-28-2010, 05:36 PM
With my goflight units i am cutting new face plates for them to fit the scheme of my cockpit. Takes a bit of time to get it exact but then you can label buttons etc and backlight.

No Longer Active
10-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Thats one way to go Davek! To keep things simple I am just using stickers, you'd be surprised just how effective this can be!

Alex

No Longer Active
10-29-2010, 06:12 AM
Hi Reid,

Took your advice on board.....I think you were right about the labelling, so have made a few alterations which can be seen here:

http://alexpilot.50g.com/goflightoverlayidea.jpg

Its still got the vintage ARC radio theme, just pretty much the functioning of the goflight unit but with the ARC look to it!

Alex

No Longer Active
10-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I am getting the new goflight overlays printed as soon as my radio's arrive, hence now having my old stickers doing nothing!

If anyone is interested in my old sticker sheets (a full BK radio stack printed as a sticker), then please send me £4, plus postage to your address (£4 is what I paid for them and can recoup the cost towards new stickers) my printer charges £16 for a minimum of 4 sheets, so your getting just one for £4, not bad ha! Let me know if anyone interested,

These would make awsome dummies and a real good radio stack filler!

I have 2 sticker sheers available!

AK Mongo
10-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Looks great Alex!