PDA

View Full Version : 737IowaCity

jetpilot
10-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi Everybody,
It has been almost 5 months since I started following with great interest the forum here at mycockpit. Reading a threat posted by John Combs I was inspired to beging my dream: Last month I bought a 737-200 cockpit and my plan is to build a 737NG with your help guys.
Project is just starting and the only thing that I have now is the energy to start searching and learning all about this.
I will keep you posted with pictures and will try to share averything learning in this process.
Right now I am working on bringing the cockpit from florida to Iowa city. Also I am trying to find a place I can put the cockpit for the next 8 months. At that time I will be back to Saint Louis, MO, My hometown.
Regards
Jetpilot

fsaviator
10-14-2010, 10:14 PM
Welcome, and she is AWESOME! You will definitely enjoy working on her!

nax228
10-15-2010, 04:43 AM
Impressive start. Good luck with the transport. To bad we have to wait another 8 months to see this sim coming to live.

Geremy Britton
10-15-2010, 11:10 AM
LOVE THE SHELL REAL FlightDeck!!, Wish they were more freely available in the UK :( :(

Doug Norman
10-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Does your storage location have to be indoors?

Doug

jetpilot
10-15-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi guys. Thank you for your words and support. I will keep you posted of any step on this building process.
Doug, I would ideally like to have an indoors location I could spend some time working on the cockpit, specially now that winter is comin. But initially it can be any place that I can just put the cockpit. I am looking for a flat bed trailer to bring her back from Florida and if she end up sitting outdors during the winter I would be buying something to cover her. Any advice about how to how to handle her during transport would be highly appreciated.
Roberto

Nick1150
10-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Nice !!!!

Welcome to MC.org Roberto

I do not think that there is something to take care during transport, after all your cockpit is used to travelling in worst conditions, but then again I do not have that experience. Many, definately more experienced will follow to tell you about this.

Welcome again and keep posting pictures :cool:

jetpilot
10-17-2010, 09:05 PM
Hi guys,
Does anybody have a good estimate of the cockpit's weight? She is stripped off.
For transporting I will install four 8" (900 lbs rated) casters. The trailer I will be using is overdeck 86" wide and I am planning to pull the cockpit up like any regular car. If somebody has suggestions they are welcome

jetpilot
01-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Hi guys,
It has been some time since my last post.
Unfortunately my real life is quite busy with just few time left for simulation.
As you can see in the PICs I already brought the cockpit from Florida.
I just can say that it was a challenge but really funny experience. Everything when fine. I was legal in all my dimensions (W102, H12'7"). When I started my trip in Florida I was quite anxious about police on my way. By the time I left Atlanta (Second state I went through) I was quite confident (At that point I had at least 10 or more patrols on my way an none of them said anything. I even fueled on a couple of stations with the officer filling up next pump and no problem at all). I end up going through 7 states without any single hassle.
Every place I stopped I always had someone approaching me curious about the content under that blue tarp.
I thought part of the success was having the cockpit cover (I just moved from one place to another, in Florida, and I was interesting how it caught everybodies' eyes) .
I am also uploading some pictures of the nose radome (I when last November to pick it up in Arkansas (Another funny adventure). On these PICs I am holding the radome with my arms up (It is light but no easy to move (Because of the size). I was walking the radome in to the garage and my wife was guiding me (Left, right, front, stop.....bla bla bla)
When time allows I will try to post more PICs and eventually I will start a website.
In the mean time if anybody needs any feedback about moving a real cockpit just ask.
I really appreciate the input I have had from many of you here.

Roberto