PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or is the $400 jump between zenbot models a little over the top?

Doon1
10-04-2010, 10:42 PM
I've been looking into buying a CNC router. I was just at the Zenbot website and noticed that the description of the 3 tables are the exact same. All the materials and hardware are the same. To look at the pictures one can see that all three are built the same. Yet there is a $400 jump between the sizes. I can see a higher cost to pay for the additional couple of square feet of MDF (or HDPE) and the additional 16" of threaded rod and rail material. I miss the days of justified cost and get tired of companies who always seem to be trying to "stick it" to the consumer.
Rant over. You can go about whatever it was you were doing. Thanks for listening.
John

Shawn
10-04-2010, 11:54 PM
I've been on the hunt for a CNC machine as well and have looked at the Zenbot many times. It never occured to me that there really wasn't much difference in what you were paying for with the various sizes. Just don't tell my wife, if she finds out I paid an extra $400.00 for some MDF she'll kill me...

mondo50m
10-05-2010, 09:55 PM
I am in total agreement with you, Doon1. I personally have done as much 'free' CNC cutting as possible for various builders on this site. Asking no more than to have the material costs reimbursed. I built my own CNC router that uses a Proxxon cutter for less than $200.00. This is of course the frame only with the rails and lead screws. Total cost with all of the hardware, power supply, and software (cut2d and Mach 3), and a computer from ebay is around $900.00. This gives me a 12" x 24" cutting surface. It is excellent for the hobby scene. The prices that some of the venders are charging for MDF and plastic is truly amazing. And most of the time you have to assemble it yourself. I will continue to help simmers whenever possible if only to save them a few dollars. We should all be helping each other a little more.

Milt

Doon1
10-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Hey Mondo,
I first drew up my complete dashboard at 16.5"x29.5". A co-worker's dad was going to cut it out at his place of employment. He went out on disability then got fired. Oh well.
I've searched for a local shop to cut it out but have come up dry.
I decided to cut out the main portion of the dash by hand and CNC two 12x16"inserts" for the gauges and radios . I've already set them up on Cut2D and have run the "preview all toolpaths" function about a gazillion times.
Would you be willing to take on a small paying gig? I can send you the .cvr files if you'd like to have a look. I'm using PVC sheet as the material. I used in on my first hand cut dash panel. It doesn't melt when routing and can be milled very thin (1/16") while staying strong enough to mount switches and encoders.
Let me know if you'd like to give it a go.
thanks,
John

mondo50m
10-21-2010, 08:53 PM
My machine is only capable of about 11" x 23". No way it would fit on my machine, otherwise, I would be happy to give it a go. Just finished building my 'engraving nose' for the cnc I built. Built it on the design that Wendy had in the cnc forums. It works really well and takes care of all of the engraving problems I have had. Just a little 'tweaking' to do on it. I over estimated the cut footprint when I gave it 11 x 24....sorry. Send the files and I will at least have a look and see if it can be done, maybe it will fit.

Milt

MajFlyby
10-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Mondo,

Newbie to forum & building.
Have been wanting to do a C172 for about 3 years.

I was planning to cut out a basic back template for the cockpit instruments,
then paste a full size cockpit poster on it, then cut out the instruments so
that I could use a glass cockpit configuration.

Here is my question:

Would you consider helping me build a 2 - piece MIP for the C172
That would fit your machine? A 2 - piece would allow me to
adjust width if needed.

Please let me know if this is possible for you to help, and what the
cost would be regarding these services.

I really appreciate your willingness to help others with their projects.

Best Regard!

mondo50m
10-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Majflyboy, the MIP for the C172 is easy. The best thing to do is go to the simkits website and download the cutout diagram for this. I did this about 10 years ago and it is a good template. It prints on several sheets of paper that you must tape together. If you run inot any snags with this, let me know.

Milt

MajFlyby
10-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Majflyboy, the MIP for the C172 is easy. The best thing to do is go to the simkits website and download the cutout diagram for this. I did this about 10 years ago and it is a good template. It prints on several sheets of paper that you must tape together. If you run inot any snags with this, let me know.

Milt

Thanks for the help.
I did manage to acquire a copy of Adobe Illustrator CS3 which reads / displays both the original dwq cad drawings and the newer dxf multiplatform drawings.

Unforutnately the drawings are in a format that prints the entire MIP on one 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper - much scaled down, even though I asked it to print / open full scale.

If I was a betting man, I would guess there is a way to make this print out full scale, but I have not determined how to do it so far.

I do appreciate the help.

mondo50m
10-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Yesterday, I cut out the panel as shown on the simkits website, the same one that you downloaded. It is in 3 pieces and made of 1/4" MDF. I do not know the exact printer or program that you are using, but minegave me the drawing 100% on 4 sheets of paper. If you wnat the one I cut out, you can have it. I would only ask that you pay the shipping and a $10 charge for the material. Let me know. I have done this for others and have never goten the shiping or the material cost, so I do ask that the payment be in advance. Again, let me know.

Milt

Doon1
10-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Hi again Mondo,
PM me your email address and I'll send you the .cvr for the front side of the instrument cluster portion. It seems as though 12" is the minimum I can go for the material size. That will leave me enough overlap so i can inset it in a MDF panel. I'll send you the full panel file too just so you can see what i'm trying to achieve. Hers a pic of the Cut2d cutout.
John