PDA

View Full Version : FMC quiz

metamarty
09-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I've just completed a new feature and I thought I might as well make a quiz out of it so people might learn something. :-P

Below you see a 737 ND, showing an FMC feature:

What is the name of this feature and why is this useful?

dcutugno
09-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow! nice work, i think is offset feature good for weather avoidance...

metamarty
09-25-2010, 07:11 PM
Wow! nice work, i think is offset feature good for weather avoidance...

Good try, but not correct. An offset feature would move the path laterally. The turns would remain intact.

dcutugno
09-25-2010, 08:35 PM
That is true, i didn't notice the waypoint where different, so now i think a secondary flightplan...

ANDYSMITH
09-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Marty,

My guess is "DIRECT TO" SOKSI intersection and continue from there.

Andy

edit; and have NOT hit the "EXEC" button yet

edit 2: usefull to save company tons of fuel(money)

dcutugno
09-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi Marty,

My guess is "DIRECT TO" SOKSI intersection and continue from there.

Andy

edit; and have NOT hit the "EXEC" button yet

edit 2: usefull to save company tons of fuel(money)

With DIR-TO no waypont in between actual pos and SOKSI so i think no Direct to function...

ANDYSMITH
09-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I was thinking that it was on a STAR and the "added" waypoints would be for speed/alt numbers in the FMC

Andy

metamarty
09-26-2010, 04:47 AM
You are getting close. The aircraft was on a STAR and a directo to SOKSI was issued by ATC. But this still doesn't solve the extra points visible.

jeehell
09-26-2010, 05:16 AM
DIR TO with ABEAM waypoints, at least on the A320 that's how its called :cool:

metamarty
09-26-2010, 05:31 AM
DIR TO with ABEAM waypoints, at least on the A320 that's how its called :cool:

Yes, that's it! You have just won a virtual trip to your favourite holiday destination using your simulator of choice. :mrgreen:

jeehell
09-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Wooohoo!! so excited!!
;) :mrgreen:

metamarty
09-26-2010, 05:51 AM
To clarify the abeam points function:
When a direct-to is entered in the LEGS page, the option "ABEAM POINTS" is selectable. When using this feature, all intermediate waypoints that are about to be deleted, are moved onto the direct-to route.

Now part two of the question:

Why is this better than a direct to without the intermediate waypoints?

JWS
09-26-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm out of competition because I know the answer from the book I showed Marty. :lol:
If he is able to put all the stuff that is in the book into the FMC you all are going to be stunned.

Keep up the good work, Marty.

JWS

Jordan Farmer
09-26-2010, 07:04 AM
im not very sure, but maybe, if atc asks you too track to a waypoint, say NHJ (made up!) when you are abeam another waypoint, say HKI? this might make no sense, nothing usually does when i try and explain :p anyway, im enjoying findinbg outabout little things like this :p

choffmann
09-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Hi JWS,

waiting for someone to give the correct answer...
But after that, could you disclose which book it is, that you refer to???
Thanks in advance.

Chris

edit: This thread could turn out to be a worthwhile reading for quiet sundays with more FMC questions coming up, when you canīt bother your neighbours with all those loud sim manufacturing noises, hehe.

JWS
09-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi JWS,

But after that, could you disclose which book it is, that you refer to???
Thanks in advance.

Chris

edit: This thread could turn out to be a worthwhile reading for quiet sundays with more FMC questions coming up, when you canīt bother your neighbours with all those loud sim manufacturing noises, hehe.

Yeah Chris, I will. It's a book that I bought a couple of years ago and I can reccomend it to everyone. Tune in next week, when you hear ......:wink:

JWS