PDA

View Full Version : LCD PROJECTORS?

shoumi
08-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi,

Has anyone used LCD projectors?

If, so, how is the experience in that? I see ads on ebay for them, but everyone talks about DLP.
What would the difference be?

Thanks,

Taufeeq

Neil Hewitt
08-31-2010, 06:02 PM
Doesn't make a huge amount of difference, to be frank. LCD projectors tend to be somewhat less bright and have less contrast than DLP projectors, but newer LCD projectors have a 'dynamic iris' which adjusts the projection according to the content and the ambient light, and so it's much less of an issue than it used to be. Also, LCD projectors can't do 'real' black - it's just very very dark gray. That's just an artefact of LCD technology - your TFT monitor can't do real black either. As the picture gets larger, you start to notice pixellation and a grid effect slightly more on LCD projectors.

DLP projectors, on the other hand, have the distinct disadvantage (to my mind) of using a colour wheel. The DLP micro-mirrors only reflect the input light from the lamp, which is always straight white, so a wheel with colour filters in it spins at high speed in front of the projection surface; the movement of the mirrors synchronises with the colour being displayed. This induces what is called a rainbow effect, where - particularly on fast-moving edges - you can see false colouration. Some people find this very distracting and noticeable, others less so.

Personally, I have a full-HD LCD projector and I'm very happy with it. YMMV, as always...

NH

shoumi
08-31-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi Neil,

Thanks for getting back so promptly.
I have not been able to find one with 1024-768 resolution, only 640 x 480. The other thing that concerned me was that the price seems cheaper than DLP short throws. Perhaps it is because not many have bought them.

Anyway, here is what I am looking at, please give your input as to what you think.

Thanks,

Taufeeq

Projection System RGB LCD Projection System
Projection Schemes Front/Suspension
LCD Panel 5" TFT LCD Panel
Resolution Support 1080i/720i/576P/576i/480i,640*480(support 1024*768)
Brightness(PeakValue) 2000Lumens
Contrast ratio 600 : 1
Lamp 150W
Colors 1.67 million
Aspect Ratio 4:3 or 16:9
Optical Lens Manual focus
Projection Distance 1.76 – 5.51 meters
Image Size 50 – 150 inches (in Diagonal)
Interface Video, Y/PB/PR, S-video, VGA, TV, HDMI
Video System PAL /NTSC
Audio Output 2 built-in speakers, RCA ×2
TV Signal Input 75Ω Radio Frequency Signal Input (RF Input)
TV Signal System PAL /NTSC/SECAM
Mechanical: Dimension(excluding lens and feet)
320mm(Length) ×249mm(Width) ×95mm(Height)
Weight 4.3 kg
projector color black (normally is Black, if you like Silver, please inform me)
Operating Temperature 5 – 35 ℃
Power Supply AC 100V-140V or 200V - 240V at 50 /60HZ ( All kinds of power cords for all over the world.)
Power Consumption
220W

You will receive all the items as listed in the following:

. LCD projector with Build-in TV Tuner (you can hook up with your antenna or cableto receive the analog TV signals)

. Remote control(to control the projector, not the laptop)

. VGA cable for PC or laptop computers(hook up your PC/laptop computer to show the presentations)

. AV Power cable(the power cable can be separated with the projector, for easy installation)

. Composite video cable (yellow) and Audio cables (white, red) (can be used to hook up DVD and Game Consoles

. HDMI cable (can be used to hook up HDMI signal)

. 1 Year Limited Warranty (parts and labor only, shipping cost is not included)

jskibo
08-31-2010, 07:00 PM
This kind right? http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HD-1080i-Projector-HDMI-Home-Theater-DVD-TV-Wii-/300460782055?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f4dbb1e7

That's the cheap chinese homemade junk....Run far and fast from those. That's someone puting a lightbulb behind an LCD screen and a lens on the front, not a real "projector"

shoumi
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Lol, yup, that is what I was looking at.
What should I look for?
I am trying to find a short throw DLP or LCD, and my budget is only $600 CDN.

Thanks,

Taufeeq

jskibo
08-31-2010, 07:41 PM
I grabbed 3 Brand New Optoma GT720 WXGA (1280 x 800) Short throws off ebay. Priciest one was $585 shipped. Now I see them off links for 574 (Best Buy price is $749). There's deals out there, but watch out for the garbage. Stick to the namebrands (Optoma, Sanyo, Panasonic, Infocus, etc....)

http://www.electrocloseout.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=OPTGT720 of course they don't ship to Canada....

he does, a little higher though http://cgi.ebay.ca/Optoma-GT720-WXGA-DLP-Gaming-Projector-/120614832525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0

Jordan Farmer
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
i cant find any in canada for that price, but i found one for $700ish on the dell website. projectors arent my area of 'expertise' though! Good luck :p

Neil Hewitt
08-31-2010, 08:31 PM
I think the budget is the problem. Doubtful you'll get anything worthwhile at that price. Short throw, forget it - that adds $$$.

Higher res projectors cost a fair bit more, but anything less than 1024x768 will suck - imagine using FSX on a monitor at 800x600.

I'd say hold on to your cash until you can afford to push your budget up. Better to do it later and right than early and unsatisfactory. The price of 720p and 1080p projectors is coming down, definitely.

Buying one second hand may be an option. If it's well-maintained and spare lamps are still available, you might find a bargain.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

shoumi
09-04-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your inputs Neil and John.
The Optoma looks great, and as a matter of fact my brother is in the States. I can get him to order it for me.
That will be a bit over my initial budget, but you guys are right, it is better that I invest wisely instead of buying something cheap and wasting the money.
Devonpilot, the Optomas are around $800 in Canada, and I did look at the Dell ones. There is one 300S I think, that is worth looking at as well.

JOHN - how is your experience with the 3 Optomas (they are stated as 3D gaming projector, which is a first). Perhaps you can share some pics with us.

Thanks again,

Taufeeq

jskibo
09-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Well so far I have only experimented with table top setups of them. Still need to build my screen (more than just hanging dropcloths around :) )

I wouldn't get too excited about the 3D aspect. While it may work if you are not using hardware displays, I would think the glasses would cause issues when focusing in the cockpit on your MIP which is not in 3D nor in synch with the external world displays.

Neil Hewitt
09-04-2010, 06:07 PM
The 3D glasses don't apparently cause any problems looking at screens that aren't running in 3D mode, because each eye sees the same picture on it regardless of when the glasses switch eyes. All you get is a dimming effect where the displays don't look as bright as they should - kind of like wearing sunglasses.

From what I've heard, FSX works quite nicely with the nVidia 3D kit, but certain graphical elements, particularly point light sources, appear at the wrong depth and look rather odd.

My projector will do 100Hz, not 120Hz, but I gather you can fudge it so the nVidia drivers will work because 100Hz is double the standard PAL frame rate. I may splash out on the glasses and see how it looks.