PDA

View Full Version : VGA Splitter problem

cmdurney
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Hi Guys,
Im building a PMDG MD11 sim and have brought a VGA Splitter so i can mirror my Capts PF/ND with Copilots (Like Ian has done in his 737 Sim)
My problem is when I connect the two monitors up with VGA splitter the resolution on both drops to 600x800! If you go into Graphics properties in W7 the only resolution option listed is 600x800. The Monitors are both LG 1942 (Native Resolution 1440x...) I have two ATI5970 cards.
Cheers

Chris

Ronson2k9
08-31-2010, 12:14 AM
In reading up on the subject you can get different splitters with different resolution maximums. Check to see what the res max is on your splitter it sounds like it's a VGA splitter you perhaps need one with a higher resolution. In your description it sounds like you are able to go to WSXGA (Wide Screen Extended Graphics Array) 1440x900.

Radio Shack Gigaware 2port USB powered splitter for that resolution plus others (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3521446)

In looking at your VC (Nice). You have two DVI ports on the back so you can use two DVI cables to connect the monitors and then using the Radeon control software duplicate the signal to both monitors. Your monitors are DVI-D capable so you can connect the DVI cables to them.

In my options and I have a Nvidia but I'm sure there not that different you can duplicate the display across two monitors or you can create one LARGE monitor (extended display). That means you can if you set up your sim (not sure what the maximum width of the 2D panel is in your sim version?) but you could with an extended display perhaps create two separate panels or have two duplicate panels that could be up to you.

So to split or not to split? Your card doesn't need it to send out two signals but you could save the other DVI for another connection (TV etc) for when you aren't using your sim. One card though = one output so you can't send more then one piece of software though it at a time even if you split/extend/duplicate you can only have one input source.

Hope that's been helpful..
Ron

cmdurney
08-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Hi Ron,

Thanks so much for your reply.
Will look into a better splitter for my setup. I already use all four inputs on graphics cards to run 4 monitors.
1=FSX VIEW
2=Capts PFD/ND
3=EICAS (EAD/SD)
4=Capts & OBS FMC

I want to use the input from Capts PFD/ND to display FOs PFD/ND. So guess ill have to do some research on the best splitter for my setup. Maybe the WSXGA one is right;)

Thanks again!

Ronson2k9
08-31-2010, 12:18 PM
It kind of depends on the max res of the monitor your splitting to. I know there are ones of different resolutions. It's kind of like a stereo mixer. If you are going with a higher res then you need as Tim Allen would put it more power. As one VC is now doing say triple duty. Your VC output needs to be amplified to get the higher resolutions.

I didn't know you could set the card to do more then one duty let's say. Your VC looks pretty awesome btw..

Glad I could help
Ron